Paris CDG Connection

Mar 15th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Paris CDG Connection

I have a connection and need to check bags from an American Airlines flight in 2A to an Air France flight in 2F. Is there an Air France check in in 2A or do I have to lug my bags to 2F?
Mar 15th, 2006, 04:58 AM

In October we checked our bags all the way through from Tampa to Nice. We flew American TPA/MIA/CDG and then changed to a flight to Nice on a separate ticket with Air France since we got such an inexpensive fare from Paris to Nice on our own. American wanted to sent us through London with horrible connections.You must show your connecting ticket when you check in so they can route your baggage and you won't have to lug it through CDG to the next terminal.
May 23rd, 2006, 11:01 AM

Johnhil did you make your connection here? How long did it take you?

I have a flight on American Airlines arriving to 2A at 10.55 and need to get on a flight (ticketed separately with Air France) out of 2F at 12.35. We won't have checked luggage, but I'm wondering if despite that we have any chance of making it, considering getting through passport control and then getting over to 2F. Did you walk over to 2F or take a shuttle? Thanks for your advice - I hope you made it okay.
May 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM

That's the same question I have, although we get in at 9:45 and our flight to Nice doesn't go until 1:25 (to be on the safe side). I seem to remember that AA will transfer luggage to AF; I hope so.
May 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM

An FYI on 2F...in order to get into 2F there is Passport Control AND security clearance. Last weekend it was well over 60 minutes in line there alone, not including my transfer time. It's a makeshift terminal while the usual terminals are being worked on. Make sure your bags are checked through and that's one less thing to worry about.
May 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM

Amyb -

What time were you going through 2F on what day of the week? I'm hoping noon on a Friday won't be as bad although I'm less and less optimistic...

thanks!
May 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM

It was 11:30-1:00 on a Saturday. This terminal appears to be where all the US-bound flights seemed to be going from, and I was thankful at the time that mine wasn't going until 3:55. You also have to factor in the shuttle-to-your-plane time, because there are no jetways there either.
May 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Wow, all of you seem to have discovered a different CDG airport from the one I know. Anyway, the OP left out the most crucial information about his connecting flight -- is it a Schengen or non-Schengen flight? If it is a non-Schengen flight, there is no going through customs and immigration in any case, but a direct shuttle connection in the transit zone. And since when are there no jetways at 2-F ????? Just looking at the airport terminal diagram(www.adp.fr), I can count at least 27 jetways at 2-F and just 2 gates using stairs and a shuttle.
May 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM

My guess is that because it's an American flight out of CDG, OP is going to have to go through both immigration and security.

As for 2F, I spent over 90 minutes killing time walking around and every US-bound flight that left from the dozen or so gates near me during that time was being shuttled from gates that were nothing more than doorways out to the tarmac miles away. This was for Air France, US Airways and American, that I can recall, while I stood there and watched. If there were jetways there, they weren't in the area the OP is headed. Several US-bound passengers missed their connections entirely due to this underestimation of time (and thus ended up on my flight, sitting near me!)
May 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Does that Terminal 2F nightmare also apply if I'm transferring from one Air France flight arriving in 2C to another Air France flight leaving from 2F? I have an hour between flights around 9am on a Monday. Is an hour enough time or do I have to give myself more time?
May 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Wiggin: An hour is not much time for any CDG connection, even AF to AF. It can sometimes take 35-45 minutes just to bus from the plane to the terminal. You might be able to make a 60 minute connection, but you are much more likely to miss it.

CDG is fine for arriving in Paris, but really a mess for connections.
May 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Air France, may you sprout boils in unmentionable places!
May 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Wiggin, your type of connection is exactly what I did two weeks ago. You need much more than an hour.
May 25th, 2006, 08:19 AM

hi all, i will be transiting in paris for about 3.5 hours before heading off to istanbul. i'm supposed to transfer from terminal 2C to 2B. is that within walking distance?

from what i read here, it seems like the terminals are very far from each other.
May 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM

It's not a long walk from 2C to 2F and an hour should be enough if you have your boarding pass -- unless there's a very long line going through security at 2F. There was not when I went through in October.

I had two flights out of 2F. One had a jetway (to Rome), One did not (to the U.S.) Both were AF flights.

Mitzihowe, If your luggage is checked through, you'll have plenty of time. It's a bit of a walk from B to C, but it feels good to me after a long flight.
May 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM

One above response says it's not a long walk between 2C and 2F, and yet another response says there's no way I can make that connection.

AF says:
"You wouldn't need to pass customs in Paris. You are in transit in Paris. The airline will be responsible to reroute you if your flight is delayed."

Very cagey about "if your flight is delayed," considering I asked them if everyone's on time, and I still miss it, what then?

May 25th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Luisah, thanks for the reply! Although I'm not sure what you meant by "luggage checked through".

When I land in Paris, do I have to pick up my luggage and lug it to the connecting terminal or will that be handled for me by Air France? (Pardon my ignorance; the last transit flight I had was 7 years ago).

I hope it's not too confusing to get from C to B because I'll be landing at just past 6am after a 13 hour flight, so indeed, I would probably be a little disoriented.

I agree with you about the walk though, good to get the blood flowing!
May 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM

For those of you who did NOT make your connection: Did you have to pay for your new flight? And if so, full price?
May 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

kerouac is right about passport control being dependent on origin and destination. Non-Schengen to Schengen as well as Schengen to non-Schengen transfers require going through passport control at CDG.

2F is comprised of two peninsulas. 2F1 is used for Schengen flights and 2F2 is used for non-Schengen flights. If you're transferring from another terminal, you'll need to reclear security. There are definitely jetways at 2F but that doesn't necessarily mean your aircraft will be parked at one.

One hour is cutting it close anytime you have a transfer at CDG. If all the stars align you'll make it, but a number of scenarios that aren't uncommon at CDG can cause you to misconnect.

- your inbound aircraft is parked at a different terminal than you expected (AF can change this last minute)
- your inbound aircraft is parked at a remote pad requiring busing to the terminal
- long lines at passport control
- long lines at security
- your outbound aircraft is parked at a remote pad requiring busing in which case they close boarding early

If your flights are on one ticket, AF will reaccomodate you on a later flight. If you purchased two separate tickets, you'll be relying on their goodwill or purchasing a new ticket.
May 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hi Mitzihowe,

I meant if your luggage is checked through to your final destination when you check in for your original flight. It might be if you're flying the same airline, but you may want to check with the airline to be sure. I'm not sure if Istanbul qualifies. Read Kerouac's comments about Schengen flights.
But even if you have to get your luggage and recheck it I think you'll be okay since you only have to go from 2C to 2B. It's the same terminal, just different sections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO