Search

1 day in paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 08:47 AM
mp

1 day in paris

My mother, sister and I are considering a day in Paris after London. I wanted to check out some hotels in St. Germaine area because of the "cafe" atmosphere. I would think that the only thing we would have time for is the Mona Lisa and some serious bread, wine and cheese, spend the night, then head home to the states out of Paris. Does anyone have any reccommendations for places to stay-3 to a room? I have received some great info in the recent past from these boards-Thanks!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 06:04 PM
Lu B.

I might not even consider the Mona Lisa. I had 2+ days in Paris and found that walking the streets and sitting in a cafe was far more conducive to "feeling Paris" than spending hours in the Louvre that I did not have. Next time I'll go to the Louvre. Feel Paris. Watch, sit, drink red wine, eat bread. You will go home happy. I stayed in the 4th and 8th, and am not personally familiar with the 5th in terms of hotels. Though, when I go back I will definitely stay in the 5th or 6th (Latin Quarter). Have fun.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 08:02 PM
Joanna

I stayed in the Quartier Latin at the Hotel Esmeralda, a quaint mediaeval set of buildings (was in the Annex). The view was superb - across to Notre Dame and directly across the road St. Julien le Pauvre. Convenient to St. Michele Notre Dame metro station and thus all Paris. I would recommend as above re drinking in the surrounds. You could also consider a walking tour (of your own making) around the Quartier Latin, Ile de la Cite (go inside Notre Dame, Sainte Chappelle and maybe the Conciergerie) and the little streets of Ile St. Louis. <BR>Three could easily fit into the rooms my friend and I had at Hotel Esmeralda. I was in a double bed in the front room and there was another single bed in the other room. I do, however, emphasize that the hotel is very old and quaint (i.e. dusty, extremely old furniture, light fittings hanging by a thread) and our room had a bath, no shower. The price was about US$50 each back in 1994. Down the road in Blde St. Germain there were some great cafes for breakfast (croissant with jam, OJ and latte) and the wonderful Musee Cluny (old Roman period baths now a mediaeval museum - the "Lady of the Unicorns" tapestry series is there). Bon Voyage!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 07:34 AM
Diane

MP--on my first visit to Paris we arrived on by train from the Netherlands Saturday afternoon and left Monday morning. We walked around the area near our hotel that afternoon and had a wonderful dinner at a nearby restaurant. On Sunday we went to Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, the Conciergerie, had lunch at a little cafe and visited the Louvre in the afternoon--saw the highlights(including the Mona Lisa, walked along the Seine. Then had time for dinner, a show, and a walk by the Eiffel Tower at night. I don't remember being hurried or tired. Do wish I had gone to the Musee d'Orsay. I'm glad we did what we did on that trip.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 10:54 AM
Thomas Nastos

First, take a half day city tour. After that, walk, walk, walk. Either from the Arch de Triomphe to the Louvre along the Champs Elysees, or walk in the Left Bank area near your hotel. One day is hardly enough for the greatest city in the world.