1 day from cruise to Sicily

Sep 29th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

1 day from cruise to Sicily

We only have 1 day in Sicily from a cruise. Taormina doesn't look like an option for tours, but this is where we want to go. Has anyone gone on a cruise where Sicily was a stop? Is the ship docked or do you tender? How could we get to Taormina from Sicily? Anybody have/know anyone there who offers tours?
Sep 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Oops--the ship is supposed to dock in MESSINA.....
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Messina and Taormina are both in Sicily.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that one of the ship excursions will be to Taormina.

You can probably do an independent trip to Taormina from Messina as well. A bus from the Piazza della Repubblica in Messina to Taormina takes approx. 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. I understand that taking the bus is better than taking the train, because the bus takes you up the hill to Taormina, while the railway station is pretty far below the city.

With any luck, GAC -- THE Italian transportation expert in this forum -- will see your message and give you clearer details than I can.
Sep 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Both ports, Messina and Catania, are close to Taormina. Should be about a half an hour bus ride.

The cruise ships usually offer shore excursions to Taormina from both ports, don't worry.

And the ship will be likely docked. But why don't you ask the cruise company? They shall be able to respond more properly
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the posts--but the reason I am asking is that I didn't find an excursion solely to Taormina--it's Carnival--Royal Carib has Taormina on your own--unless Carnival didn't post all their xcursns. They do have 1 to Mt. Etna AND Taor., but 8 1/2 hr. excursion I'm not sure will suit us. We'd rather have a relaxing day and venture around Taormina....
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:40 AM

24krose - What time do you dock? There is a direct bus (Interbus) leaving Messina (Piazza della Repubblica) at 07.15 which takes 55 mins.

Unfortunately later buses are not direct and take much longer (1 hr 45') Here is the timetable:

http://www.interbus.it/interbushtm/ricerca.asp

Otherwise you can find train timetables on
www.trenitalia.it

The fastest trains take only about 45 mins.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Sorry - here's the link:

http://www.interbus.it/interbushtm/

Steve
Sep 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help and responses! We have about 9 hours there--4got what time it docks....