Yellow fever shot

Apr 5th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Yellow fever shot

We are sailing on the Amsterdam on Nov 26 from Santiago Chile around the horn with stops along the way and ending up at Rio. Just got a flyer from another TRAVEL SERVICE ABOUT THIS ITINERARY AND THEY MENTIONED THAT A YELLOW FEVER SHOT CERTIFICATE was required for this trip.
Never heard of this and any info would be greatly appreciated.
[email protected]
Apr 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Hi, if they sent that message, get the shot before leaving home. We had to have shot before entering Brazil, if you don't have the shot when you arrive at ship, you will be put in a line with about half of your fellow passengers and be chared about 150.00 dollars each. BUT only if the Holland America said you must have a shot. call your agent, and have them make sure. Good luck
Sandy
Apr 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM

That is exactly what happened to us. We were on a Princess ship and Princess said we would not need the shot, but when we arrived in Rio we did have to have it and it was as Sandy said....terribly long line and costly. Get the shot before leaving.
Bobbie
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:49 PM
ed

If you find that you need the Yellow Fever shot contact your local health department. Very few private physicians have it. :-B
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:27 AM

The CDC web site http://www.cdc.gov/travel/ will have info on which shots are required where, and so should a good hospital travel clinic.

When you get the yellow fever shot, they give you a vaccination certificate to put in your passport -- a number of countries, esp. in Africa, require that for entry.
Apr 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
P_M

I got a yellow fever shot for my cruise to Brazil in 1988. At that time it was not required by the cruise line and they never asked for proof. When I found out it wasn't required, only recommended, I started to blow it off, but then I was told that all it takes to get yellow fever is to be bitten by an infected mosquito. Among those who do contract yellow fever, there is a 50% mortality rate!! So get the shot and be glad it's required now. You might also consider taking malaria pills if the cruise recommends it. Although malaria is not as deadly as yellow fever, it can make you sick for a very long time.