Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Wldlife viewing / whale watching / adventure / photography / glaciers /naturalist tupe cruise to Alaska and overland to Denali???

Search

Wldlife viewing / whale watching / adventure / photography / glaciers /naturalist tupe cruise to Alaska and overland to Denali???

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any cruise line that specializes in the Inside Passage (Vancouver to Juneau) with an emphasis on the ecology of the region, with none of the "fancy" dinners/dress/activities on board that most cruises seem to have??
Are there any such cruises that include a side trip to Denali?

I am beginning to research a possible cruise for next May or June (2005).
I would appreciate any and all suggestions and/or websites that will help in planning - thanks!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM

Cruisewest, Glacier Bay cruise, Lindblad. I would then arrange a flight Juneau/Anchorage (using an open jaw, mulit city option). From Anchorage- you best options for touring Denali is on your own with a rental car. You will want an AFTER June 1 arrive so to take the SHUTTLE to Eielson and after June 8 for the SHUTTLE to Wonder Lake. Educated fully Denali Park options- most people are unaware of them. Basically- tours will have you on the TOUR buses, mile 16 (usless) and mile 53, Shuttles go farther which yields more wildlife opportunities- mile 66 Eielson, mile 85 Wonder Lake. If looking for a couple overnights- hook up with a Kantishna lodge.
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BudgetQueen for the information. I shall continue my search on the web, and will come back with more specific questions.

Do you live in Alaska??

Borealis
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Nope, just a frequent visitor, spending about a month, split between 2 trips per year. Number 18 coming up in August.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM

If money is no object, go with Cruise West and choose the Spirit of Oceanus. This ship used to be the Renaissance V and the staterooms are huge. Quite "luxurious" for an expedition ship.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:58 AM

See my posting about Glacier Bay Cruiseline above titled "Just back from Alaska". Excellent experience just like you describe. (Also, we didn't do it, but I believe the company offers land extension tours to Denali.) Enjoy planning your trip.