WIne on board

Feb 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

WIne on board

Does RCCL allow you to bring wine on the ship to drink in your cabin? I will be cruising on the Mariner shortly and was wondering.
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM

No. Princess and HAL do. But you know you don't always have to ask for permission (wink, wink).
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM

If you are caught with any liquor it will be taken away from you. They x-ray everything before going on board, similar to an airport. I have never tried to take anything aboard but have seen bottles taken from other people.
On the first day you can buy a wine package to use at dinner which is somewhat discounted (although still much more expensive than supplying your own), we just ask for an extra bottle at dinner and drink it the next day in our room.
Have a great cruise!
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM

There's lots of info on this subject at www.cruisecritic.com. Here's the RCCL message board on the Cruise Critic site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM

RCI does not and their policy is generally very well enforced. They have started scanning checked bags as well and will call you to the guest relations desk after boarding if they see bottles.

I have also seen them check water bottles, etc. to make sure it is nt booze being smuggled.

They are not stupid and there are rarely tricks they have no seen before.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM

This is such a ridiculous rule and I understand the cruise ships want to make money on alcohol, but honestly only 10% of the people would likely bother (I am in the 10%) to bring their own liquor/wine aboard.

It seems very counterproductive to tell people how great your cruise line is, and how relaxing it will be and how much fun you will have, and then turn around and tell you, "but if you plan to relax with a glass of wine or a martini, you have to buy it from us".

I still cruise, regardless of the idiotic policies and rules, but I cruise on HAL, where I can take my own wine, sodas and beer on board should I desire. I only take wine, never liquor because the daily martini specials are reasonably priced at $5 each.

I don't drink a ton, just a glass of wine or two with dinner or a martini in the pre-dinner hour, if I am on vacation.

They (the cruise lines) need to lighten up on these restrictions, IMHO.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM

So just to be clear, HAL does allow you to bring wine aboard? If so, how much?

We're going on an Alaska HAL cruise in May and are wine drinkers ourselves.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM

Yes, HAL allows unlimited bottles of wine or champagne to be brought on board. Just got back from a Caribbean cruise, and I took 3 bottles on board. The steward will provide you with wine glasses and a corkscrew if you ask. There is absolutely no problem with wine on HAL.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:43 AM

Sludick we keep meeting!! I can tell you that we always take wine on board HAL. I have even seen passengers taking a case of it - no problem. We usually give it to the wine steward the night before. We do get charged corkage if we have it in the dining room but thats not a big deal. I have seen liquor being taken from passengers when they have been in a duty free port but they just hold it and give it back before disembarkation. I know you want to take lots of our good Oliver wine with you!!
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks, Gerhardt! That is good news.

Traveller69 - Yes, of course we want to bring some good Oliver wine with us! We've been spoiled, as you well know. It's not likely that we would get the equivalent at any price on the ship's wine list - - a corkage charge in the dining room would be just fine. I grew up around the California Napa valley, and that was pretty common there as well.

Are you in OK now? You keep one foot in a couple of wonderful places and also go to some wonderful places.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM

Hi Sludick - No, we are in Arizona then to the OK then to Victoria when it heats up. Right now I am spending my time searching the boards lining up private tours at our ports of call. We are going to spend a few days in London before going to Copenhagen where we board ship. We will be spending a few days in Athens after we disembark as well so its going to be a great time. I trust we shall cross paths on Fodors many times before then. By the way did you try the new winery right in Oliver - just up the hill behind the hospital. http://www.quintaferreira.com/
I know you like reds and their Merlot and Malbec were pretty good.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:33 AM

I don't know about RCI, but its sister line Celebrity allows two bottles to be brought on board. However, there is a $25 per bottle fee for uncorking.