Windjammer Cruise - Will we like it?

May 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Windjammer Cruise - Will we like it?

I posted this on the Carribean page and someone suggested the cruise section...hope you can help!

We're planning on 7 nights in St Lucia staying at Ladera towards the end of November. Several posters have recommended the day trip to St Vincent and the Grenadines but at $240pp for the day it sounds rather expensive.

We are interested in seeing something of the Grenadines from the water and Windjammer has a repositioning cruise on Polynesia(5 nights)from Grenada to St Lucia sailing through the Grenadines, St Vincent and the Tobago Cayes. We would fly into Grenada (from SFO) cruise to St Lucia and fly home after 7 nights at Ladera.

Here's the issue...I don't think we're really cruise people (the thought of being on a hugh ship with thousands makes me very nervous!) but Windjammer looks quite different and rather low key. I can see the accomodation is basic but that's ok, particularly as we have Ladera to look forward to.

If you have taken a Windjammer cruise could you give us your opinion. To give you some idea about us we're relaxed people in our 30's and 40's and travel alot..Argentina,Brazil, India, Europe and Thailand in the last year. This is our first trip to the Carribean.

Thanks very much!

May 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM

I think people who don't like cruising but want to see smaller islands would enjoy a Windjammer cruise. Just be aware that on this particular ship, the cabins are very basic and extremely small (if you can live with that, cool). You'll see much more interesting islands (they often stop in Mustique, for example). You may just find that the other cruisers are much like you. The fact that you have something more posh to look forward to may make the trip more palatable, but it's one of the best ways to see the Grenadines.
May 26th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Hello:

The Poly repo from Grenada to St. Lucia would be a great way to see what the islands are about.

The only real "touristy" islands that you would hit would be Grenada and St. Lucia. St. Vincent and Bequia could possible have a ship or two and the other two could have up to two or three but for the most part, it shouldn't be too crowded.

I've done this route 7 times with Windjammer and each time was different. I'm not really a beach person but I'm beginning to learn. <G>

The Poly is my favorite ship.

Windjammer isn't for everyone. Someone said that it was camping at sea and I would agree.

If you go to google groups and do a search in rec.travel.cruises and type Windjammer you will find a pretty good summary of what Windjammer is like. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here or not.). In addition, if you go to jammerbabe.com and click on the flotilla, you will find a good website on Windjammer.

Rogue

May 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback.

As you've said Doug, I think the basic nature of the cabins will be offset by the luxury we'll have at Ladera. Also we tend to enjoy combining different types of accomodation on a holiday and we're quite used to going from the sublime to the more basic.

Rogue - thanks for your thoughts and the websites, I hadn't looked beyond Fodors so they will help! It seems like this will be a fun way to see something of a number of islands without doing the regular cruise thing.

I've managed to get ff flighhts into Grenada and out of St Lucia so I guess it's time to start booking!

Thanks again.
May 30th, 2005, 09:35 PM

If you are concerned about windjammer cruise but like the idea of sailing, you might consider Windstar. They have power and sails. Cabins are good size. It is not as casual as windjammer but "elegantly casual" as they refer to it. Just no jeans and tennis shoes in the dining room but there isn't any dress up night or all the other hoopla that goes on with large cruise ships. The Windsurf sails the carribean. Checkout their website www.windstar.com. We did the Windsurf Lisbon to Malaga just a few weeks ago and loved it.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:46 AM

In between Windstar and Windjammer is Star Clippers. Still casual and a real sailing ship and quite nice.

For me, I don't camp and I would not a Windjammer. I have toured their ships as a TA and find them VERY basic indeed.

Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM

FYI
The correct web address for Windstar is

http://www.windstarcruises.com/home.htm

Jun 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Windjammer is a great way to see the Grenadines. It sounds like you're the type of travelers who will enjoy the adventure and diversity of this type of cruise. Grenada to St. Lucia is our favorite itinerary. Bequia is a gem.
Jun 19th, 2005, 07:32 PM

My one-and-only cruise was a Windjammer and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED it. Here's why: No formal nights. Super-relaxed mood. Low-key fellow travelers, both married and single, young and old. (I was in my late 30s and single at the time. I'm now early 40s and married.)

The meals were hearty but not gourmet. The cabins were basic but not uncomfortable. The price was good for what you got, including sails flapping in the wind, incredible Caribbean seas and sunsets, dolphins leaping by your boat, a great bar, an easy, breezy getaway. There's nothing posh about the experience, so I'll probably never get to go again while I'm married to my luxury-loving husband, but I'd leap at the chance if we ever took separate guy-girl getaways. I highly recommend the experience.