Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Why is September 20th sailing to Alaska so cheap??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Debbie

Hi,I was looking at different itineraries to Alaska and found NCL Cruise lines dropped their prices dramatically on the September 20th cruise to Alaska.Is there some reason for this? Are there less tours available at the ports?? Is it alot colder? Just curious.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:32 AM
petlover

Yes, I noticed this too. Apparently this is the very tail end of the "cruise Alaska season" and it is getting quite chilly. Prices actually begin to drop in August too. I guess June and July are the best months for cruising Alaska so they commend higher prices.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Elaine

Thanks Debbie..I think. Saw your post, went to another site that listed NCL's Alaska cruises, found the one you were referring to, called my TA and within 2 hours I was booked in a cabin with a balcony!! It was a great deal and - granted - it may be chilly but it's in our budget and we do own long-johns!! I've read on here so often how nice a balcony is, especially in Alaska, but thought we'd never be able to afford it. So, thanks again!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Sal

You guys are so right!!! I just looked for a single (inside) cabin--it was $490. WOW!!!<BR>It listed that date as regular season instead of peak. Looks like some good deals to be had! Thanks!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Debbie

Gee,I'm glad I could give you the heads up on this sailing!I'm still debating wether I want to go that late in the season?!! Guess I better hurry and make up my mind before the Balcony Cabins are all gone!! Glad I could help...Debbie

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Dan

Its a lot colder and it gets dark earlier.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Vicki

It often starts snowing in mid September and it is quite cold. I remeber needing a coat during a July cruise.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Paul Therault

The snow starts moving down from the glaciers in late August. You may get some pretty heavy storms in September.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM
HighSeasWitch

IT'S CHEAP BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE TIME TO GO!!! JUST BECAUSE THE CRUISE LINES EXTEND THE CRUISING SEASON DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THE TIME TO BOOK A CRUISE. MAY AND EARLY JUNE ARE BETTER THAN SEPTEMBER AND THE PRICES ARE VERY REASONABLE.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM
pat

Went twice and both times it poured!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Me and Me

You are right....the days are shorter and darker (the longest day of the year is June 20/21) in end of September. Lots of stuff for the tourist season is closed. <BR><BR>But, it still can be a wonderful cruise expierence for just the cruise.