White Pass RR: bus one way or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any advantage to taking the bus one-way on the Skagway White Pass RR trip? It must be faster as train goes beyond White Pass to Fraser depot, and bus stops several times for photos, yet tour length is about the same, 3-3.5 hours. Our boys (now 7 and 9) thought the narrow gauge train ride in Durango CO was "boring" and we were glad we took the bus one-way. In Durango, only the bus portion was narrated, and also the only way to have time for mine tour. But as White Pass train is narrated, I don't see advantage other than the photo stops on this one.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:28 PM

The train goes to different locations based on the run. I took the train both ways, but hear the bus ride back is nice as you follow a different side of the canyon. You also stop for scenic overlooks and photo ops which the train does not do. Be sure and sit on the left going out as that is the side with the scenery. Depending on what day you are there, you can pay extra and get a steam train. It is much more interesting than the diesels used on most runs.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:26 AM

I would suggest the train bus combo that includes Liarsville. The kids would probably enjoy it?? Most of the train's narration is on the way out of Skagway, sit on the left side of the train and left side of the bus, if the train leaves Skagway. There is also independent combos available. Listings www.skagway.com
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - my gut feel is the bus one way has to add something, even if it's just slightly different scenery. Love the idea of Liarsville though, hadn't seen this on my previous research. I found it is available through the ship as "White Pass RR & Trail Camp Adventure" - BudgetQueen, are you aware of any independent tour operators that offer this? (I didn't see it on the Skagway site links you posted). BTW, I feel like I know you I've read so many of your posts already - already booked whale watching in ISP with FISHES/Floyd based on your advice. I prefer not to use ship - discount isn't always much, but seems the more interesting options are often away from the herds.
Also - is train seating first come, first served or can you reserve? I notice if you book through the ship, pick up is dockside. Otherwise, you board at depot. I assume depot would board first, important if it's open seating - anyone know? Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM

we rented a car and then actually went horseback riding in the 'Yukon on someone's ranch onto trails- followed by dessert in her backyard. The views were tremendous- both from the car, the roadside stops, and from the horse!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Train seating is first come first serve. We took the bus up and the train down, Liarsville is a lot of fun, a good show and gold panning. Try for the afternoon train, it's generally better visability after the morning fog has burned off.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:14 AM

We took the train both ways. If I had it to do over I would take the train up and the bus back (or pass on this excursion all together). It got very monotonous and coming back down most of the people were asleep.