Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Which excursions on western caribbean cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Mary

We're going on Century in March. Which shore excursions do you recommend? Ports of call: Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West. Can we get a better deal through a company on the island? We like anything to do with water/beach and some interesting sightseeing of island beauty. Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:58 PM
cd

Hi Mary<BR>These tours were recommended to us and we will be going Jan 5. The people have been great to work with and very professional and somewhat cheaper than the ship. Peat <BR>Taylor in Ocho Rios for Dunn's River Falls, Fern Gully and countryside tour. Captain Bryans Stingray City,(snorkeling) Barrier Reef and Coral Gardens. They are both on the Net if you want more info do a Google search

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:04 PM
greggs travel

In Cozumel hop a cab to Chakanab Lagoon for snorkeling and beach for just a couple of bucks. If you rent a moped go to the other side of the island just to hang out at one of the beach bars.....

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:04 PM
Cathy

Both cd and gregg listed my top recommendations for the Western Caribbean. My friends and I went on tour with Peat Taylor, and he is excellent. I did my snorkel trip with Captain Marvin, and I enjoyed shopping in Cozumel in the morning and snorkeling at Chakanaab in the afternoon.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:53 AM
TammyPat

In Grand Cayman I would suggest doing the beach horseback riding...we did it and it was incredible..the beach is secluded and the horses were brilliant! Oh, Atlantis Submarine is another good one. We did the 100ft sub but I really want to try out the deep one next time we visit as it goes to 800 FT, can you imagine! <BR><BR><BR>Don't know if this link will work but I'll try it anyways.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:55 AM
TammyPat

In Grand Cayman I would suggest doing the beach horseback riding...we did it and it was incredible..the beach is secluded and the horses were brilliant! Oh, Atlantis Submarine is another good one. We did the 100ft sub but I really want to try out the deep one next time we visit as it goes to 800 FT, can you imagine! <BR><BR>Don't know if this link will work but I'll try it anyways.<BR><BR>http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/GrandCaymanHorseBackBeachRides.htm<BR><BR>&lt;A href=&quot;http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/GrandCaymanHorseBackBeachRides.htm<BR>&quot;&gt;Be ach horse back riding&lt;/A&gt;<BR><BR>http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com<BR><BR>Maybe one will work...hope its okay to post the link

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:02 AM
lbaboyd

It depends on if you are by yourselves or have another couple with you. If you are with another couple, in most ports you are better off getting your own cab and seeing whatever you want to see, plus the driver is also a good guide and usually will offer good suggestions for you to consider. Usually, but not necessarily cheaper, but this allows you to do things more your way, which is usually a more enjoyable experience than if you join up with a tour group. Here's a suggestion for Ochos Rios (if you're fairly active): 1)the Dunn River Falls is a must experience. Take your camera.It's a little delicate if you're physically limited, as the fun is in climbing the falls and getting in the cool, clear water (be sure to wear aqua socks as the bottom is rocky in places). If you're not up to climbing all of it or part of it, there's walkways you can walk along side. We took our own cab there and arranged with the driver to come back and pick us up in maybe 2 hours (the driver will help you figure how much time to give it). They have lockers there you can rent reasonalby to leave your street clothes while you do the falls in your swim suits and aqua socks. 2)From there let the driver take you to the Bamboo Raft ride down the river (if it's not advertised on the ship, ask the cab driver about it). It's a little ways up into the rain forrest area, but a lot of fun riding the bamboo raft with the native handler pushing and guiding the raft as the current takes it down the river - it's back in the sticks, so you're see some bare breasted local women out washing clothes or tending their kiddos. Again you have the cab driver either wait or come back to get you where he drops you off - you can trust them if you rent them for the day. 3) If you have time you can have the driver drop you off at the beach where you can rent ski jets or just enjoy the beach. Or, 4) you can have the driver drop you off in town. There really isn't much in the town, but some people like to walk it some. Beware of peddlers who will try to sell you drugs. At one time they had some problems with roudinest flareups between locals and tourist that got out of hand, but the government has controlled that pretty much these days. In most ports, it still pays to be alert and don't wander in shady parts of town.