Where will my ship dock?

Feb 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Where will my ship dock?

I am sure I saw somewhere a link to a website that shows where the cruise ships dock in different ports in other countries. Maybe on Fodor's? Anybody has an idea?

Especially interested in Scandinavia ports - Copenhagen and all Norway.
Feb 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM

Look here:

http://www.europeportreviews.com
Feb 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM

These are the ports I know:

Copenhagen: The cruise ships dock at Langelinie which is close to the mermaid figure (it is small, don't be disappointed). It is a quite pleasant walk into downtown, but I recommend a taxi or the public bus in order to save energy for walking around downtown.

Oslo: The ships dock right at Akershus Fortress which is in close walking distance to the city center. No need for transportation.

Bergen: The ships dock right in downtown. It is an easy walk to Bryggen and the city center.

Geiranger: The ship will be anchored in the roadstead. The village is tiny. This is one of the few ports where I recommend a bus tour which includes the Briksdal Glacier.
Feb 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM

In Copenhagen you won't necessarily dock at Langelinie. Some of the ships dock at Freeport pier at Nordhavn. You can walk to the train from there and take it into town. We used a cab but it was fairly expensive as I recall. Check with they cruise line to find out which dock they are going to use.
Feb 18th, 2010, 10:52 AM

If you dock at Langeline in Copenhagen, you can get all day, or multi-day transit passes at the shops on the South End of the pier. The bus stop is there as well. It is no more than a 15 minute ride into the center of town.
Feb 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Copenhagen is easy - plenty of maps on all websites, we'll stay there pre-cruise, and leave from Langelinie.

Echnaton: Norway is not even on that website! Oh, well...

Oh, and Mermaid will be in China this year till October or November, so we'll miss her.

"Bergen: The ships dock right in downtown. It is an easy walk to Bryggen and the city center." - what is easy for a healthy person, maybe not that easy for me! This is why I'm looking for maps or descriptions that may help me to pinpoint a dock on Google map - and even that is not available for all ports.

It's OK, I'll manage.
Feb 19th, 2010, 03:29 AM

Bergen: The distance from the berths to Bryggen is 0.6 miles (flat, paved) and to the center of the city 0.8 miles.

The position of the berths is:
60°24'04.91" N 5°18'33.47" E
Enter these coordinates in Google Earth or Google Maps and you will see.
Feb 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Faina you mentioned you are staying in Copenhagen pre-cruise. I don't know if you have made hotel reservations but I took Percy's advice and went on Priceline bid on a 4 star and got the Marriott. I don't remember the price now but it was very reasonable. I then took Percy's advice again when we were there and upgraded to a waterfront room. The view was just spectacular and in the early morning we could see our ship arriving on the horizon. Start bidding early and go from there but I think we paid somewhere in the vicinity of $125 US.
Feb 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Traveller, thank you, I got refundable reservation at Kong Frederick.

Oh, Echnaton, I never thought of entering position into Google! I knew somebody will come to the rescue I will get those coordinates (is this what they are called?) for all ports, I remember seeing them somewhere, and see if it works for every one of them.

THANK YOU!!
Feb 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Hi traveller69 !

Dayenu:

The Marriott is a lovely place and for $ 20.00 more you get the River Views, and there are many sites to see right from your room window.

Staying at the Marriott will have you closer to :
1. Central Train Station...try to see this building,even if just to take a picture.

2.Fisketorvet Mall........ which is a 3 block walk along the River boardwalk.

3.Church of Our Saviour ( with the external staircase)

4. Royal Danish Library..lovely building

5. Old Stock Exchange Building

6. Christianborg Place.. which is next to the Stock Exchange

7. Thorvaldsen's Museum ( Denmarks' Michael Angelo) ..this is next to Christianborg Palace

8.From the Marriott you have a 4-5 block walk to the Town Square...walking down Hans Christian Andersen Boulevard...

walking to the Town Square you will past the lovely Glyptotek..at least take a picture of the building if you don't go in.

Hint: To get a nice picture of the Glyptotek, cross the avenue ( Hans Christian Boulevard) as it is too nice of a building to try and get a picture from the sidewalk in front.

However !!

You Kong Frederik Hotel is :

1. Less than a block from the Town Hall Square

2. Two blocks from the Tivoli

3. Two blocks from the Stroget.... the longest Pedestrian Shopping street in Europe.

You can walk the Stroget all the way to Kongen's Nytorv ( King's Square)....

4. At Kongens Nytorv ,1/2 block away is the Nyhavn Canal ,where I am sure you will want to take a Canal Boat Ride to see many of the famous places.

The Langeline and the Freeport Terminal are about a mile apart, but since you are coming pre-cruise ,you will not be presed for time.

About Oslo:

Let me give you a little hint;

Yes , the cruise ship docks right at Akerhus Castle ..BUT leave this Castle visit until the very end.

Go straight to Vigeland Park, which is a Do Not Miss place and it is Free !!!

From Vigeland if you want to see the ship museum ..then go there...after that go to the City Hall and start from there doing your "downtown touring".........

ending with the Akerhus Castle, because from Akerhus ,you just cross the street to board your cruise ship.
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Percy, we are not going to Oslo, sorry if I've mislead you in my posts. We'll stop in Tromso, Bergen, Geiranger, a long name starting with H that I forgot, something like Hollingsworth Olden, oh, well, my memory is not as good as I hoped!

I am doing a search of everything at the same time
Feb 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM

Good Luck on the research .

Hmmm, what made me think you were going to Oslo.

Bergen is a lovely place.

Have a nice cruise
Feb 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM

Hi Percy - how is the hand? And what is your next adventure going to be? Things have been quiet on the cruise board lately so you must plan something so we can live vicariously along with you.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM

Hi traveller69

The hand is as good as it ever will... it will never be the same.

Chronic Tendinitis post surgery ever since. ( Grrrr!!)

I would like to Moscow, and then do Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania...but we shall see.

Another plan is for China... so much world ..so little time

Take Care nice to hear from you.

Sorry Dayenu, don't meanto hijack the thread !!
Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

No problem! I've been salivating over the Chinese cruises too... Is it difficult to get around Shanghai with English only?

The Terracota Warriors will start their tour of Canada next year. Where is it easier to see them
Feb 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

Well if I get to China I will get a private guide .

Those Terracota Warriors beter get to my home City.

I did not know they were coming to Canada. hmmm !

Thanks for the info
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM

Percy, welcome back! Chronic Tendinitis? Must be all those repeteitive things that you do. Go easy on the keyborad or get a good gel pack wrisy rest.

I think it is the "copies" (I call them fakes) that's making the tour. Saw them in Vancouver late August last yeara after the crusie to Alaska.

If you go to China, the real ones are still in the pits with some out of the pit in display. Seeing them on tour is not the same as seeing them in their own environment.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM

FianaAgain, I can't resist this...
Where will my ship dock?
At the pier, of course!
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

And it took you only 5 days and 59 minutes to come up with this brillian answer?

But what if the ship will anchor? It won't be at a pier, huh?
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM

Percy - The warriors won't get to your city but they will be in Calgary summer/fall of 2011. Here is a website that is of interest http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?in...5905&int_sec=2

Keep us up to date on your travel plans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO