When Being Old Ain't Bad but Good

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post about how to avoid elderly New Yorkers puts me in mind of a trip I took so many years ago when I was young. Decided to tour England on a tour bus and the only seat left was by a very old, buck tooth lady from Cornwall. I sat down and immediately began to dread the whole thing and wished I could be anywhere but there; Hello...she turned out to be one of the most interesting people I have ever met; had been a milliner to the Queen, lived in New Zealand, written a best seller, and more. So don't judge a book by it's cover...take a chance on the elderly, you may be surprised.
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:23 AM

This is so true. Years ago, after my father passed away, my mother took each of us (daughters) on a cruise at different times. When I went, it was with a group of folks (all retired) from the community my mother lived in. Talk about knowing how to have a good time!!!!! I was in my late 20s - and I couldn't half keep up with these folks. They were dancing, causing trouble everywhere - and just really enjoying themselves. I've found, since then, that hanging with the older crowd is sometimes alot more fun .................
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:20 AM

*sigh* Truth is, it doesn't matter if the whiny complainers are old or young-- they are just plain miserable people. They're miserable at home, they're miserable when out on the town, they're miserable when travelling, and since they've probably alienated family and friends with the whining, they will vent to whomever comes their way.

Older people can be great. Quick story: I had to drive to San Diego from LA with computer equipment for a conference (I was demo-ing new software). A partner from New York asked if he could ride shotgun in my truck (now you see why I was driving the equipment down). I groaned-- a New Yorker, early 60s, Boredom-ville! What could he know about software, or anything fun?!

The two hours flew and I could have gone on for two more days. The stories he told me! Gossip of industry leaders he worked with, tales of the first days of computers (he "computerized" his first employer in the mid-60s), all his travels with his wife, including many, many months in LA and San Diego. Delightful.

It was on the same trip that I met a client face-to-face for the first time-- late 50s, looked a bit like Lurch from "The Addams Family". I thought, Oh boy, this one has to be a bore. Wrong again. Hilarious man, with a charming, gorgeous wife and their equally-lovely 5-year old adopted daughter (they already had 2 grown sons and a few grandchildren); boundless energy and enthusiasm.

You just never know, do you?
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Over 20 years ago while getting off the bus at Macchu Pichu asked an elderly woman in a house dress where her husband was...she pointed up...way up...she said her husband climbed mountains on weekends as a hobby (I never got to the very top)..A few years ago while my husband was taking digital pictures a young couple who was fascinated with the digital camera said..."for an elderely gentleman your very computer literate"...we both laughed...when did we get old..Being old is a state of mind...and as the saying goes..."your never too old to have a happy childhood"..we don't like to go with seniors ourselves and are usually in a mixed age group on vacation. Interesting enough there is a known prejudice against elderly people by the elderly themselves... and I do fall into that category..lol... I refuse to grow up....refuse...
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I would agree with you. I guess the polite segment of the elderly population gets less notice, as they're not being vocal and making nuisances of themselves. It might also be that what passes for acceptable behavior in New York City doesn't fly in other parts of the country. Ask me, I know.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I live in an over 55 community and go to the water aerobics class (I'm called 'the kid' Grandma of 3) they put me to shame. My best buddy is there everyday and she is 82 !

About 20 years ago, when I sold real estate in FL., I met a man (very elderly)on the crew building the Panama Canal! I'll never forget that day.

My point is, I think when the elderly are in a group, they complain more, singlely they are ok.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:59 PM

a great story aurelia