Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An old life quote.... is a good planning philosopy...

Aug 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM
DiG
Original Poster

In the beginning, your planning is in full throttle, like my boat. Next, you dive into the deep storied details. You read, visit your Fodorites, e-mail, read some more, hello Fodorites again, e-mail, etc. etc. Voila!

You have a well thought out, planned trip. Countless hours researching have spiked the trip with unique details. It will definitely make for an enjoyable and memorable trip.

At the market you bump into a casual friend
from the health club.
"Hi Di, how was your trip to Paris, it must have been wonderful?" .

You don't know because you never went.

A military son and his family came home on leave. No one, not even God, knows when he
will come home again.

...'Things change'...

Spring becomes Fall.

You are outside raking or cursing all the lovely leaves of the season. My neighbor
strolls over to my yard, escaping his chores he remarks, "You're back already from Normandy, We want to go there some day, so tell me all about it" .

You don't have anything to tell because you never went.

In October, your only daughter,
recently married, announces that you will
be grandparents in May. An event you do not
want to miss.

... 'Things change' ...

Fall becomes Spring.

While at your annual physical the good Doc asks, "So Di, I have never been to London,
what was the highlight of your trip?" .

You don't know because you never got there.

Your parents have been ill and that has consumed all your free time.

... 'Things change ' ...

Spring becomes Fall.

14 days became 10 days.

... 'Things change'...

10 days became 8 days.

... 'Things change'...

Don't ask, I don't know.

Happy dreaming to all on a gorgeous summer day here in New England.
Di
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM

So you are regretting no extensive travel or just celebrating life as it is? Yes, we all enjoy other things like family...and we may well also enjoy New England (our family is there).

In any case, may your life be enriched by everyday moments.
Ozarks Bill
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I don't mean to be argumentative, and contemplating how things change on a lovely summer afternoon you know there were reasons you chose not to go. But things always change and they are going to change whether you stay at home or are traveling. Maybe you shouldn't try to make long range plans and just grab a special deal when it comes along. It won't make you any less of the wonderful mother/daughter/friend/wife that you already are.
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:21 AM

There's another old saying, that rings more and more true with each birthday I celebrate.

"Life's short."

A few days away from your joys of life in New England and the responsibilities that go along with those joys can refresh your soul and give you even more strength to juggle those things.

Playing is essential, not optional.
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM

My mother (who I do not get along with at all, but that is for another forum) asked me if she should call me in the event of an emergency during my 16 day vacation in Paris-London. I told her no, I didn't want anything to spoil my trip.

Just my .02 euro.

Aug 21st, 2005, 03:36 AM
DiG
Original Poster

I was not expecting many to respond
to my post. Your gracious comments were
appreciated.

There are no regrets, only the initial disappointment within human nature. I just needed to express how we've had to postpone our trip since 2003. Rereading the end of my post, I see how I came off as being negative, that wasn't my intention.

We all should have dreams. But I think it's also important to actually make real plans for dreams that are attainable. You see the present, know the past, so it's okay to look forward.

When I read this forum, I recognize and feel the passion others have for travelling. Often, someone will say they are actually depressed, as they had to cancel their trip. They are very upset. They say they don't know how they'll make it through until they can travel again. It seems they are totally unraveled and and get from point A to point B.

... 'Things change' ... is a wonderful
quote that keeps me grounded. It is life. It is unfair. It is beautiful. It alters our best laid plans. But it is a good life and I feel blessed to have one and loved ones to share it with.
Di