What's Not Included???

Search

What's Not Included???

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Not Included???

I am a first time cruiser trying to figure out how much i'll spend on a 7 night carnival cruise to the caribbean. with airtfar and an inside stateroom it's about $1g even. whats not included on the ship besides alcohol and carbonated drinks? what types of services are there on the ships that you have to pay for? i know there are dining options you have ot pay for, or you can get a haircut...what other things might i spend money on besides booze? thank you all for your help!
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Tips
Laundry service
Alcohol and soda beverages
Bingo
Souveniors on the ship
Shore excursions
Gambling

========

All and all, I don't spend that much money with the exception of tips.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Look this up on the website for your cruiseline. Also, check out this webs site:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic

Find the topic you are interested in and click on it. You will find lots of information.

Think of the cruise ship as being in a hotel for a week, with your meals and room cleaning taken care of. Most other activities cost, just as they would on the outside. You can usually use the gym equipment for free and probably the sports courts, but check. Exercise classes may cost. Depends on the ship. Of course spa services would be extra.
But the big cost will be the excursions. You definitely need to get on the internet and do some research, or call the cruiseline.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

this information was very helpful, i am disappointed about the spa being a charge if it is, but i can expect that. i will look more into it and contact someone from carnival. i love this message board! always very helpful no matter what the travel topic!
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:10 PM

Theresa, What do you do about the shore excursions? Do you make your own arrangements? That is the one area we're thinking we may have to break into the piggy bank for.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:57 AM

Hi,

For the most part - I book my own excursions. I have sailed several times to the Caribbean and Alaska and feel comfortable doing things on my own and arranging private tours through local companies where I am at.

If it is your first cruise, I would encourage you to do most things with the ship.

Leaving for Alaska soon and I booked my whale watching through a private vendor. The price is about the same but it is the difference of having 100 people on the cruise line's whale watching excursion or having 20 people. I like the smaller, more personal experience.

I am also taking a $5 bus (each way) to Mendenhall Glacier when the cruise line charges $29 for this.

There is one excursion that I am booking with the cruise line - it is an all day event and booking privately with it will only save me about $4.

------------------

The Caribbean is very easy to do on your own. If you post what you are interested in doing - people from this board can offer some suggestions if it is easy to do on your own or not. For example - I wouldn't do Tulum (Playa de Carmen/Cozumel) on your own but it is so easy to do Megan's Bay (St. Thomas) or Stingray City (Grand Caymen) on your own.
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Well said, Theresa.

When we went to an island for the first time, we usually took an excursion that went to the main attractions and covered most of the island, for an overview. The next times, we would do cabs,etc to just what we liked the times before or a beach.

It is easy to get around the islands without an excursion-but going to a place off the beaten path by boat, taxi,etc could give you a scare if you think you might be late getting back to the ship! Always make sure you are not just dropped off whithout a return time!
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I would have to add that the following are not included:

- Tips for room service, the guys who load your luggage at the port, the tour operators who conduct your excursion, and the room attendant and wait staff;

- Pictures ? they charge about $20 for an 8X10 and sometimes that is the only size available;
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Theresa,
We are also going to Alaska. Juneau, Skagway and Ketchitan. I need to review the opportunities in each area, then I will post here for ideas, when we decide what we want to do.
I was on one other cruise. It was to Mexico. We had a hard time with the crowds on the shore excursions - felt like we were moving with a herd and that much of what we saw was very touristy. That said, one of the exursions, to Tulum, was quite memorable. Our guide, a Mayan attorney, was very knowledgable and had a lot of interesting insights into Mexico that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM

My husband and I took our first cruise last year. We went to Alaska. It was a very relaxing and beautiful cruise. We cruised on the GTS Infinity and it was absolutely beautiful. Room service is complimentary and the food at the main restaurant was always gourmet.
We booked all our excursions through the cruise line, but when our helicopter ride in Juneau was cancelled, they refunded us and could not guarantee spaces available on the next port. So, when we got to Skagway, we went straight to the helicopter company (it's right on the pier) and booked it ourselves. The price with the cruise line was exactly 299.00 pp + tax (just checked the cruise book) and we ended up paying 189.00 pp (tax included, just checked my credit card statment). So we saved over 100.00 pp! In Juneau, you don't need to take a city tour, it is soooo small, there is a bus station within walking distance from the pier that would charge you anywhere from $8 - $10 pp and you'll literally be over in about 20mins. We also took a bus to the Mendenhall glacier (we had not booked an excursion there since we had planned to take the helicopter ride) and cost us about 10.00pp round trip at the same bus station. Alaska is not expensive, trust me.
Well, have a good trip.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Yes I know I am stepping out of the technical boundaries.

I have found that on a RCCL cruise everything cost extra with the exception of your meals and entertainment.

cup of coffee
soda
alcohol
shore excursions
spa treatement
etc...

Not a bad vacation, just don't expect what the brochures show you. They imply (like most advertisements) that it's all there at no cost.

Oh, but the towels are free at the pool. Haha
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Don't forget all of those pictures they will be taking. From the time you get on the ship, at every port, at some dinners, your picture will be taken and then Yep, you guess it--it is optional to purchase the ones you like. If you like one or 2 and decide to have a picture for yourself they then try to sell you a frame. I would also recommend a "drink" card. You spend so much and get a card to have stamped like a credit card. It is easier. Also most lines do not accept cash. Credit cards are a must.