Search

What about pesos?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about pesos?

Hi,
I am taking a cruise to Cozumel and want to know about pesos. Should I buy them from my bank before I leave? Could I buy them on the ship? I don't want to buy too many, but I want to have enough once I get there. I want to take a taxi to Chaukanaub (sp?) spend a few hours there, have a moderate priced lunch somewhere, and do some shopping. While shopping I am not planning any major purchases-just a few souvineers. What would be a good amount of peso's to purchase. What is the courrent exchange rate?

Thanks
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM

In Cozumel they are happy to accept the dollar, you really don't need to have pesos unless you have a special reason for wanting them. Most the stores price their merchandise in dollars and pesos. Cab drivers as well carry dollars to give as change. Merchants also accept charge cards.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Hi,

For the most up-to-date info on the exchange rate, check out cnnfn.com - it has all of the latest details for today's information. Check at the airport, they have money-changing services at really good exchange rates, usually better than your local bank. Just get about $20 changed into pesos, just enough for a tip for the cab driver, to buy a postcard. For larger purchases, such as lunch, souvenirs, etc., use your credit card because the credit card companies give you the best possible exchange rate on your purchases. It is the way to go!

Have a great day!
Julia Elzie
E-mail: [email protected]
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM

ktyson: I have been to Cozumel many times on a cruise. These isn't any reason to waste your time and conversion fee on pesos. Stick with the US dollar---they readily accept it.
Happy cruising!!
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:57 PM

I agree with BarbaraS and Cruiser, there is no reason to exchange. I have never found a Mexican merchant that would not gladly accept American dollars. Pesos are so undervalued against our dollar that you are asking to loose money by making the exchange. If you want some for a to take home to show your friends just ask for your change in Pesos.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Last month I cruised to Cozumel.

We took a taxi ride to Chanakaab (sp?) park and we paid the taxi $10 for all of us. The entrance fee was $10 per person. All US.

We didn't eat there but had no problems spending American money in Cozumel. This was probably my 5th time there and I have never had the need or felt like it was beneficial to convert my American money to Mexican money.