Wearing White on Eastern Med. Cruise in Mid-September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be on a cruise to the Greek Islands in mid- September and would like to know if is appropriate to wear white that time of year.

Thanks for any input.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM

We have done the Med in Sept and it is perfectly fine to wear white-

With the sun so hot, white is terrific to walk around in....even if they are just shoes!!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Andy,

Not only did I mean shoes, I also meant slacks and tops - it's not too late in the season to wear it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Anita- sorry --I was trying to make a joke- it is perfectly fine to wear WHITE in Sept in the Med....

anything white- tops,skirts,pants,shoes-
Whatever--No problem at all.....

Have a blast!!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Andy,

I will certainly try.
Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 03:11 PM
dar

You can wear white anytime you darm well please....aren't those rules old school????
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Yeah, that is definitely "old school". But even with that, if you go to the Carribean in February, wouldn't you wear white? Of course, because it is HOT! Let the weather not the month of the year determine what is appropriate!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Hello,

I generally follow the rules about wearing white only after Memorial Day and before Labor Day - my mother insisted on those rules when I grew up in the 1970's and it just doesn't look right to me and I can't wear white, personally. Within society, it is perfectly fine, but I can't do it.

That being said, I do wear white shorts in the Caribbean and Mediterranean regardless of season or month. My philosophy is that those are tropical, warm climates and different rules for white apply. The others are exactly right - white is very cool and stylish for a warm climate like the Mediterranean. Wear white and don't worry about it!

Best Regards,
Julia Elzie
http://www.CruisingCo.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I can't add anything more to the 'white' issue but I'm wondering which cruise ship you're taking. I'm looking for a Sept./October Greek Islands cruise and have been finding that the prices are so high (we're hoping to get a balcony cabin). Any particular ship you'd recommend or booking agency?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Golfergal and Julaie,
I, too, was raised never wear white after Labor Day. I live in South Florida and until this year (white is now "in&quot people never wore white. Only the elderly and tourists would wear white. Now that white is "in" I see more people wearing white slacks and tops.

Bonlou30,
I am going on Royal Olympic cruises. I leave from Athens and we go to Corfu, Venice, Dubrovnik, Olympia, Istanbul, Mykonos and Santorini. I am going with a tour group,since I will be traveling solo. One of my friends is on this cruise this week and will be returning on Saturday. When I get all of the details I will post her report.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:31 AM

Anita-

Where in FLA are you?

My sis lives in FLA and I will be down there end of July to see her.....

Maybe we can meet....
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Andy,

I live in South Florida - where do you live?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:47 AM

anita- I live in VA.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Andy,
My cousin lives in VA. What part of Florida does your sister live?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Anita- post your email --LOL ==this is getting crazy--
She lives in Boca and I just reserved my airline tkt today!

Andy ( I am a female in case you are worried about the internet! )
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM

ttt
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:13 PM

The Victorian era is long gone ! This is the 21st.century. Get with it ! Who cares about what to wear. Put on whatever you want . Dress 'rules' - humbug ! Wives with too much luggage give husbands bad backs.( Chinese saying)
Neviboy
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Anita, please feel free and comfortable wearing white on your Sept. Med cruise. The weather should be warm to hot and, as another poster mentioned, let that (the weather) be your guide.

I lived in south Florida for a few years and always wore white long after Labor Day and never felt out of place. Let's see, I'm wearing shorts and a light top and sandals. Oh, wait, I need to wear my beige sandals instead of my white sandals. Or my black shorts instead of my white shorts. No! I hope you see what I'm saying. (Not being rude)

Actually, I think the no white before Memorial Day and no white after Labor Day is strictly an American custom (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure I will be corrected). After all, Memorial Day and Labor Day are basically American holidays, yes? I think you should not worry about wearing white and enjoy your vacation to the fullest!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

pyschoelf,

ok, ok, I'm sorry that I asked. I have become one of the people that I always ridiculed. You are all right - it should depend on what the weather is. To be truthful, when I go on the Europe board and when I see people asking what to wear in Paris or Rome I always think to myself - don't they have a clue? Well, now I have become the clueless person. I will probably overpack, bringing enough clothes for a family of four, but I will wear what I want, when I want. Thanks to all of you, kind comments (or not)and I will have a great time regardless.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Anita-
Do you want to meet in FLA?

Let me know!

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -