viking river cruises

Nov 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

viking river cruises

has anyone taken the viking spirit on the czars of the waterways tour up through russia? if so, how was it;, what time of year. any other information about the boat and tour would be helpful and appreciated. thanks
Nov 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM

You would probably do much better by going to:

www.cruisecritic.com

They are a pretty comprehensive forum re: all types of cruising and have extensive info on Viking and other river cruise lines.
Nov 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Try to do a search, or re-post this question on European board, I see some reports about cruising in Russia on that forum of Fodor's.
Nov 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Yes, summer of 07 we took the viking river cruise from St. Pete to Moscow. Got it for 1/2 price and we used our ff to get there. St. Pete, awesome and Moscow too. In between ok. we stopped at touristy ports. Food was average, soup very salty as I remember. Nice part is that shore excursions were all included except for Peteroff and a museum in Moscow ( worth doing both). You were put on the same bus at each port so got to know your people on the bus. We enjoyed the trip and glad it was 1/2 price, not sure it would be worth full price. Cabins were fine, 2 dining areas and had to eat in the one according to your cabin price. Lectures were interesting and educational. Went in August and weather was good. Nice trip, wait them out and go for 1/2 price if it were me.
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Just returned from three weeks in the region...sailed on Viking's Alexy Surkov and enjoyed it immensely...the ship is totally renovated, hotel beds in every cabin...nothing like "where or where not to eat on board".. we found that the port stops between Moscow and St. Pete were interesting and offered a good view of life other than the major cities.

It was my third visit to Russia..twice during SSR days. We lucked out on the end -of-season discounts..only 140 on board, capacity 202...hence, discounts.

Wife and I went on to visit Belarus and Ukraine to do some genealogical research on our own...utterly fascinating journey.

stu t.

(as far as I know, Viking Spirit is not scheduled for "Waterways of the Czars"...but it is for some Western European programs))
Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM

We went on Viking's Waterways of the Czars a few years ago (Moscow to St. Petersburg, which I recommend for the extra time in St. Petersburg) and were thoroughly pleased. We were on the Pakhamov, which I understand is undergoing total renovation before next season, but was just fine when we were on it.

Sign up on the Viking website and you'll be deluged with special offers (2-for-1, air upgrades, etc.).

We went in June (for the pleasant weather) and during the White Nights, which I also highly recommend.

Check www.cruisecritic.com for more information on the Russia cruises.
Nov 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM

I received yet another e-mail from Viking today - 2-for-1 Russia or Ukraine. Book by December 1 and use code 24Echo

Search this Thread