Viking River Cruise vs Seadream Yacht Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just finished a Viking River cruise on the Danube and are interested in booking another trip. Some of the fellow passengers mentioned SeaDreams. Does anyone have experience with both of these companies that can offer some comparison?

Things we enjoyed about our river cruise that we would want again: cleanliness (our boat was impeccable); updated and comfortable cabins, small boat experience (we are not interested in large ocean liners); good service from staff; interesting stops and excursions; good food (we felt the food was good—some days excellent; some days average).

We were younger than the other passengers but we did not mind—we stayed with the tours for a little while and then broke off to do things at a faster pace. We also signed up for a lot of bike tours which we loved. It was a nice combo of active and relaxing. Other passengers mentioned that SeaDreams offered a more “active” experience so that’s what prompted us to research it; however, many of the photos I see on various blogs, etc show very dated and dark rooms.

Thanks for any info!
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 03:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have seen their ships in ports, smaller sized which is appealing.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 06:31 PM

We did not have a good experience on a Viking cruise.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We did not have a good experience on a Viking cruise.
I am curious as to your experience. I took a cruise with Viking last month and was very disappointed. However, many people, including those on the same cruise, seemed to think that everything was ok. Much of the problem was due to water levels. I know that is nature but it is how it was handled that disappointed me.
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 02:04 PM

They treated the passengers like children not allowing anyone to go off on their own when in ports. We couldn’t stand their “rules” and did what we wanted! The food was so so. The wine was poor quality. And then we discovered AMAWaterways, so superior to Viking in every way imaginable!
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
They treated the passengers like children not allowing anyone to go off on their own when in ports. We couldn’t stand their “rules” and did what we wanted! The food was so so. The wine was poor quality. And then we discovered AMAWaterways, so superior to Viking in every way imaginable!
I understand completely. Since we never stayed in a port that was withing walking distance, almost everyone did do the Viking excursions. However, we never did have much free time. The food was good, except for one night when I think that they were cleaning out the fridge, but I cannot really remember what I ate. Many of their rules did frustrate me. I have many friends in the auto industry and I kept telling my travel companion that their systems needed Six Sigma. Having the luggage out by 6am only to find it in the lobby after breakfast at 8 am, was the one that bothered me the most. Probably because I was so tired from being up at 5 am to get dressed and have my luggage ready. I guess that was suppose to be the luxury part. Someone would wheel your luggage to the lobby. I am going to look into AMAWaterways. They were our second choice at the time and they were a bit more expensive. I have also learned that they have options without paying the single supplement on some of their boats.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 06:49 PM

garden diva
AMAWaterways far surpassed Viking. Such a relief to have a good experience after Viking.
We will never go near Viking again.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 07:43 AM

Does anyone have recent experience with Avalon Waterways river cruises? Was originally thinking of May or June for this year and considering the options and choices but some needed house repairs will push this off until 2025.