Search

Various Q's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Carter

Various Q's

Hi -<BR><BR> I will be a first time cruiser. The scheduled ports I will be visiting are: Cozumel, Progresso/Meridia, Costa Maya, and Belieze. I have a few general quesitons:<BR><BR>1. In the above ports will I encounter beggers? If so, what is the best way to handle them? <BR><BR>2. Is it safe to use credit cards to pay for things in the above ports?<BR><BR>3. In the above ports is it necessary for me to take my passport with me off the ship?<BR><BR>4. How common are sea lice and how can I avoid them?<BR><BR>5. At Progresso/Merida - do you have to walk to 4 -6 mile pier or is there shuttles?<BR><BR>THANK YOU!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Dolores

1) We were on the western Caribbean cruise in April; did not stop at Costa Maya. But at the other 3 ports, we saw no beggars at all. Our 3rd time at Cozumel and just love it there.<BR>2) Credit card use. I would think you'd be safe using it but we rarely saw anything we wanted to buy that cost more than $20 so we used cash most of the time. Be sure you go to the talk on your ship about which businesses in these different ports they recommend as being reputable. Information you'll want to know if you're planning on big purchases. <BR>3) Passports. We always left in our safe on the ship but it probably should be kept with you in foreign countries. Thanks for the advice.<BR>4) Sea Lice. What are they ?<BR>5) Progreso Shuttle. It is provided. No way will you walk 4.5 miles there in that sun. Drops you off in a little park area where there are vendors, close to a beach. If you are not taking a tour to Merida (about 20 mi inland) but want to go to there, check with your ship's people to see if you can get a shuttle for $8. We had no idea we could have done this until after we spent about $60 on taxis. Nice to have a private car but if money had been tight, I would have been annoyed at not knowing there was a cheaper way. That wasn't my first cruise either.<BR>Back to the beggar question, as I said they are not a problem but you may want to alert yourself to time-share people. Found them to be a real nuisance in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. Best answer seems to be keep moving along. They'll just pester the next people.<BR>Enjoy your trip. If you like to shop, you'll love Cozumel. Chankanaab Park is very pretty if you have time; it's a few miles south of town, on the beautiful water.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
doug

actually, i think that Chankanaab Park is a few miles NORTH of cozumel.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Patty

I believe 'sea lice' is seasonal. The best way to avoid being stung is to use sunscreen or even better, a full body lycra suit while snorkeing or diving. But sunscreen alone usually works.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Nanette

Carter-<BR><BR>Keep your passport LOCKED up in your safe.<BR><BR>On shore, carry a photo ID (drivers' license). <BR><BR>You can get your throat slit for an AMERICAN PASSPORT. Better safe than sorry, kiddo!<BR><BR>(Go Cave Tubing in Belize if you get a chance. Big fun!)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Pam

If you plan to cash any travelers' cheques though, they generally ask to see your passport. Plan ahead on that day and carry your passport with you.<BR>If not, play it safe and leave it on the ship!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:29 AM
DiveInstructor

Chankanab is most assuredly south of town in Cozumel. You will see more beggars on the streets in the US than in the Caribbean. <BR><BR>Sea lice are the larvae of thimble jellyfish and are seasonal (spring and fall, different months in different areas). I am not sure what to do to avoid them other than to stay out of the water. They tend to burrow under tight fitting suits so a wet suit or skin is not a great way to avoid them. Exposed skin is not affected. I've never heard about the use of sunscreen to prevent it. Here's a good source of information: http://www.sailordoc.com/bodySeaLice.html

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Paul Therault

I will add ..... the free shuttle will take you to the beach at the end of the pier. Nice beach but no facilities.<BR><BR>Do your homework on Merida before you take a tour. It is not a typical Mexican town. It is a huge metropolis. There is a historical area but I did not think it was of any significance. <BR><BR>I would say better to do Chichen Itza which is the largest of the Mayan ruins or Uxmal which is the most beautiful.<BR><BR>There are very few or no natives following you around trying to sell you items in Progreso or in any of the above areas.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Patty

DiveInstructor,<BR>I was told about the sunscreen by 2 divemasters in Belize. When we came out of the water from our first dive, we noticed that the divemaster's skin was covered with little red welts. That's when he told us about the sea lice and said that we didn't get stung b/c we were wearing sunscreen. On another dive before getting in the water, the divemaster (different guy) asked if he could borrow our sunscreen to prevent getting stung by the sea lice.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Charles

Carter, can you tell us what cruise line are you sailing? <BR><BR>I don't know these ports except Cozumel and the replies you've been getting tell me this may be something to consider.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Nanette

I can "highly recommend" a couple of the ports:<BR><BR>I was in Belize City and Costa Maya in April. Had a lovely time.<BR><BR>(Was hoping to visit Progreso on next cruise, but itinerary has changed to Montego Bay).<BR><BR>Personally, I prefer a more "exotic/off-the-beaten-path" vacation spot.<BR><BR>Who wants to be surrounded by vacationing Americans? Not I.... <BR><BR>Had the time of my life in both Bora Bora and Punta Cana.