Search

Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrades?

Does anyone know how the cruise lines decide who gets free upgrades?
Does it make a difference if you book early?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Just keep your fingers crossed... absolutely no rules for it.
Best chances are if you book a "Guarantee" cabin, but then it can be you might end up in a cabin you donot want...
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Some cruise lines reward their most frequent cruisers with upgrades. This is the most common.

While some of the time guarantees may result in an upgrade, it can also backfire as you may simply be assigned the least desirable cabin in the category that you booked.

I would not think early booking will get you a better chance unless you are booked in a particular cabin that the cruise line suddenly needs. For example, do you have 3 beds in the cabin and only two people? Very occasionally, the cruise line will move you.

Often the best deals are those booked early and sometimes the cruise lines look at who paid the most and then will upgrade.

There is no rhyme or reason in most cases. Just do not expect it.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM

I was wondering this same thing recently as I was in a couple of malls.I walked into 3 different Travel Agencies: 2 affiliated with large consortiums and one Mom and Pop.Both of the large affiliates gave me the identical answer: 98% of their clients who opted for a guarantee were upgraded as a result of being booked by a consortium associated agency(they have lots of clout!!) The M/P explained that there are no rules, nothing was SOP.Each cruise line was different.They even gave an example of a couple who had booked the least expensive inside cabin on a guarantee.They were "upgraded" to an outside totally obstructed view,across from the elevator above the night club.Some upgrade, huh!!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Suerich68

On our recent cruise, I had requested an upgrade from a verandah room to a suite. As we got closer (4 or 5 weeks out), we finally booked the suite & paid the difference. Good thing, as the cruise was totally booked & we would have been miserable in a room for 10 days. Verandah suite also had a much larger balcony. We dined several times with the ship's dr. who said that most cruises sell out these days so that upgrades are not very plentiful.