Turkey/Greece shore excusions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked on the Radisson Diamond for a cruise in June. We have travelled a lot but never on this type of cruise and are really looking forward to it. I think we should be able to do the shore excursions by ourselves, but my question is, "Should we arrange any of them ahead of time, or is it ok to just find a guide or taxi at the dock?" Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The cruise starts at Istanbul (we are going 2 days ahead, and based on info on this site, I am going to arrange tours with Argeus for there). Then we go to Pergamon, Ephesus, Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini, Napthlion (sp?) and end up in Athens.

Also, does anyone have suggestions as to what to do in Athens--our boat disembarks at 6:00 am and our flight does not leave till 5:00 pm. I would like to see the Acropolis, etc. but what to do with luggage.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
P_M

I went on a cruise about 4 years ago that started and ended in Athens and made stops in several Greek islands plus Istanbul, Kusadasi, and Cyprus. In Rhodes we met a very nice cabbie and negotiated a great deal for a full-day tour of the island. It was a lot more fun and less expensive than it would have been by booking with the ship. However, on the island of Kos the cabbies were asking for at least double what the Rhodes cabbie wanted, so we ended up going around on our own. In Turkey I'm not sure I'd be so brave, especially in Istanbul. I didn't really feel safe there. So to try and answer your question, you will get lucky from time to time and find a good deal with a local cabbie, but personally I would pre-arrange it or go with an organized tour from the ship. Keep in mind that if something happens where you are delayed in getting back to the port, the ship will wait for the tours organized by the ship, but they will not wait if you are out on your own. This happened to some people on our ship when we were in Jamaica, and since this was the last stop, those folks had to just fly home. Thank God I was with a ship tour that time and they waited for us.

As for where to leave your bags in Athens, I would walk into a fine hotel such as the Grande Bretagne, and ask a bellhop, tip in hand, if they will keep your bags for a few hours. I have done this before in the US and nobody has ever said no, even if I had not stayed in that hotel. I cannot imagine this would be different in Greece, especially when they see that you are willing to compensate them for their trouble. Have a great trip!!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:42 PM

RachelG., Unless you are VERY WELL versed in the history of this area, you will be missing a lot by depending on just the services of a taxi driver to visit these sites or at least some of them. I wouldn't think of visiting Ephasus without the services of a knowledgable guide. It would be looking a book without reading the pages. I know those ship tours are overpriced but there are those times when you just can't do without them. I too second the warning about chancing delays on getting back to the ship on time if you are on your own. No problem if you are staying IN the port city but for longer trips away from the port, I'd rather not take any chances (our train to Berlin once broke down and I was mighty glad I was with the ship tour since they HAD to wait the 2 extra hours for our return. I've cruised the Greek Islands and you're in for a wonderful trip. Too late now, I suppose, but it is a shame you didn't book a longer stay in Athens. There is SO much to see there - too much I fear for just a few hours. Would love to hear what you think of the Radisson Diamond. I am considering a return to the Greek Islands and think right now that is my ship of choice. Judy
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:00 PM
MMSF

I third Judith. When I'm in a country I'm not very familiar with, I like to arrange for tours throught the ship for exactly the reasons Judith mentioned. I want to shift the responsibility to the ship, rather than me in places I'm not familiar with. Also don't believe the information taxi drivers tell you about the place. I've lived in foreign countries, know the place very well, and I sometimes overhear the stories they tell to innocent American tourists, well! Ephesus is far from the dock. I wouldn't want to be stranded in a taxi in Turkey. Next time I'm in Ephsus, I might arrange for a private guide, probably through the ship. It's such an extensive site and far from the dock, I'd want someone knowledgable and with proper license to tell me about it, and I've been there twice already! But the excavation is still going on, and we saw more when we went back the second time. I plan to go back there every ten years to see what new things they found. It is a major major site!
Unless I happen to know a trust worthy tour operator to arrange it for me, I feel it's safer through the ship, because their operators would meet certain standard. Santrini has some important Mycenean sites also. I don't have three days to wonder around on my own reading a guide book, so I'd want a licensed guide to tell me what I'm looking at. Old town of Rhodes you can do on your own, so as Myconos.