Greek Isles Dock or Anchor????

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:36 PM
mary

Greek Isles Dock or Anchor????

We are going to book cruise on Windstar, Istanbul to Athens. I would like to know if the ship docks or anchors at the various ports. If it anchors, what do they use to transport you to shore? Greatly appreciate any info about this and any other info re:the ports of call. THANKS. mary

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Mary,

Most Greek Islands have low-water ports therefore the ship will not pull into the port and tie up. Most ships will hire boats (called tenders) from the locals to take you from ship to shore. Some ships use their lifeboats (especially when it is time for everyone to get back on ship since most everyone likes to stay until the last minute). When you vist you will find out why everyone likes to stay until the last minute.

If there a reason you asked your question? Are you afraid of small boats?

Paul

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:25 AM
rita

Mary, I've cruised the Greek Islands many times and from what I can remember you will dock more than you will tender (especially seeing you will be on a smaller ship). Here is a list of the ports I can remember.

Athens (docked)
Istanbul (docked)
Kusadasi (docked)
Mykonos (docked sometimes tendered depending on size of ship and weather)
Santorini (tendered)
Crete, Iraklion (docked)
Crete, Rythemon (docked)
Rhodos (docked)
Patmos (tendered)
Nauplion (docked)
Katakolon/Olympia (docked)
Itea/Delphi (docked)
Corfu (docked)
Kefalonia (tendered)
Lesvos (tendered)

Paul is right, most likely the tenders will be small boats run by locals. They are very efficient and just fine for transport.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Paul Therault

Thanks for the list Rita.

Paul

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
mary

Thank you Rita and Paul for your help.
mary

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:14 AM
sonia

Mary, we did this cruise last Sept/Oct. We loved every minute.

Rita's list is correct, and we did tender in Mykonos.

My favorite memories are the day in Bodrum where we took a wonderful trip (set up by Windstar) on a gulet, and the day in Santorini -- sailed into the caldera at dawn, and sailed out after dark watching the moon rise over the cliffs... very romantic.

We did some ship tours and some independent exploring. In Kusadasi/Ephesus we took the bus tour of the ruins, then went off to a beach on our own in the afternoon. In Rhodes we took the ship tour to the Acropolis at Lindos, but stayed on to have lunch and go to the beach, then taxied back to port. In Santorini we took the local bus from Fira to Oia and explored on our own, had lunch at a very scenic taverna overlooking the caldera.

In Mykonos we took a taxi to the "Shirley Valentine" beach (I forget its real name.) Out of season it was quiet and beautiful, with a taverna on the beach for lunch. (You can see that beaches and tavernas are important features of our trip!)

We also loved Istanbul -- flew in 2 days early and stayed at the Hilton, which was excellent. (See my hotel rave for more on that).

Have a wonderful trip. I'd love to go again!