Tracy Arm Fjord vs Glacier Bay

Feb 15th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Tracy Arm Fjord vs Glacier Bay

I'm starting to plan for a cruise to Alaska for my family (7 of us youngest is 18) this July. The budget is tight since I'm paying for it. We are based in NY so I have been looking at flying into Seattle. It seems to be the cheapest. I've been pricing out a bunch of cruise lines. The cheapest I believe was Carnival ($8,500) but they don't go past Glacier Bay only Tracy Arm Fjord. I looked at Princess they go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord but the cruise to Glacier Bay would be about $2,500 more than Carnival and Holland $1000 more than that for Glacier Bay ($12,000) NCL (was $11,300). I've been reading through a lot of the forums and got the impression that Princess and Holland were THE ones that have been "doing" Alaska the longest and have the most rites to sailing into Glacier Bay. Others have noted that although other cruises have TAF on their itinerary there are times when the ships weren't able to go there. I think weather related? That would be very disappointing. Even though I've never cruised before, I'm not that concerned with the bells and whistles of the cruise but more of seeing Alaska. More of a floating hotel for all of us to met up and keep our stuff. Don't get me wrong I'm still hoping for a great time at nights on the ship but it's not my total focus.
So all that being said, do I go with Tracy Arm Fjord save money? Money that could maybe be spent on more land excursions? or spend the extra money and go with Glacier Bay? Is it worth the extra cost?
Some ships also go north and south inside passage and some go inside one way and outside another, any great significance to that?
Feb 16th, 2016, 02:30 PM
ira

Hi Sty,

You are a good fellow.

>So all that being said, do I go with Tracy Arm Fjord save money? Money that could maybe be spent on more land excursions? or spend the extra money and go with Glacier Bay? Is it worth the extra cost?

I've just come back from Holland America NB and Princess SB.
If your Carnival cruise visits Hubbard Glacier, go with it.

If not, spend the money for Glacier Bay. Your heirs and assigns won't miss the money you won't leave them, but they will remember the glaciers, especially after they have melted..

I think that Princess is marginally better than HA.

>Some ships also go north and south inside passage and some go inside one way and outside another, any great significance to that?

The route to the west of Vancouver Island is out in the Pacific. The weather can become very interesting (heavy seas and storms).

Before deciding to spend a goodly amount of money on excursions, I suggest you check out tripadvisor.com and cruisecritic.com.

Join the Roll Call for your ship at cc.c

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 16th, 2016, 06:26 PM

Hey! So I have an alternative just in case the other cruises don't work out. My travel club actually has a cruise to Alaska 8days/7nights for about $789.00 per person. And they do stop and dock in Juneau one of the days as well as cruise Sawyer Glacier and a few other areas in Alaska (so you and your family could see Alaska up close and personally). Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I thought I would share just in case.

The only drawback is the dates for this cruise are May28-Jun4 this year. And it departs from Seattle, Washington.

Either way I hope this helps and I hope you find the right cruise for you and your family. My best wishes to you!