Search

To tux or not

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:22 PM
James

To tux or not

HELP. We are taking a Celebrity cruise next month and I am uncertain about this dress-up for dinner business. What would you recommend - a dark suit or tux? I would not want to stand out and suspect that I would if I were the only one wearing a tux. Advice is welcome.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Gail

Whatever makes you happy. YOu will see men in both suits and tuxes.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Debbie

James,<BR><BR>On our previous cruises I would say it was about a 50/50 mix. Alot of men were in tuxes. My husband rented one through the cruiseline which was great because you didn't have to haul a suit with you. It was in our cabin when we arrived and everything fit perfectly. It's kind of fun to dress up. Go for it!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:12 AM
John

Last week on the Infinity I'd estimate it was around 30% tux, 60% suits and 10% sportcoat/blazer and slacks. None of the tuxers beefed about the non-tuxers, and Celebrity's "policy" of having guests remain in formal attire for the rest of the evening (which is okay if you're inside, somewhat sweltering on the deck in the tropics) seemed widely ignored.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:34 AM
John

James - its a very individual decision. I travel with my wife and two daughters who love to dress up on formal nights. Because of that, I rent a tux in order to fit in with them. I thought I would hate it, but quite the contrary - its the only time during the year that I get to wear a tux, so its kind of nice. It also makes for some nice cruise pictures to hang on the wall to remember.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Roy

James, I had not had a Tuxedo on in 25 years until my wife and I cruised on Century two years ago. There was a good 50/50 mix of Tux to dark suit. To my suprise, we both had a lot of fun dressing up for the occassion. My wife looked great and she thought I looked "better than usual". Now we look forward to the formal nights as we both dress to please ourselves and each other. We'll be on Infinity on March 9th. I have heard that Infinity is a little classier than Zenith or Horizon. You certainly won't be the only one in a Tux.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Jackie

James,<BR>We just returned Saturday from a week on the Century. It was a mix and everyone looked great tux or suit. We missed the Captain's diner due to the Super Bowl and we are from New England.<BR>Century set up a buffet in the lounge area where we were watching the game and everyone had a great time. By the end of the game it was a mix of tux, suits, slacks, gowns and shorts. So my recomendation to you is to wear what ever you are going to feel most comportable with.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:59 AM
mark

I just bring a dark suit, along with my tux shirt, bow tie and cummer bun (sp?) This saves room in my suitcase and I have a suit to wear when tux not needed

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:35 AM
jake

If I'm going to pay my hard earned money for a cruise I am not going to be told that I have to dress up. I'm thinking of wearing jeans, cargo pants or kakki pants. What can they do? Nothing!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Paul Therault

Very interesting post Jake. Hope you enjoy the buffet.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:04 AM
riette

You sound like a class act Jake! Wish I could be seated at your table.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Carole

My husband and I have been on 8 cruises. We always enjoy dressing up for formal night. We love taking the pictures and usually buy a couple of them. These pictures are usually passed on to family members. They really appreciate having a ‘formal’ picture to display.<BR><BR>I talked my husband into buying a 'tuxedo set' (tux, shoes, cumberbund, buttons, hankie) years ago for less than $200. It has paid for itself time and again. He loves it! If he changed size, just take it to the tailors. Buy him a scarf/vest or whatever to match your dress and he's done. Ladies, we should be so lucky!<BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Paul Therault

For those that think they can not afford to purchase a tux ..... go to a tux rental shop. They have used tuxes for sale at rock bottom prices that are in very nice shape. Be sure to choose one with a medium width lapel. It will stay in style.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Jayne

Just returned from the Celebrity Millennium 2/24/02 cruise. My husband rented a tux & was apprehensive too! He was not the only one. I think there was at least 50% or more in tuxes including our 2 boys 13 & 11. You will not be out of place at all. The others had dark suits. My oldest son is in an adult size but it arrived with the sleeves too long & the wrong pant size (too big) They have someone on board who altered it promptly. We were very satisfied & they all looked great in the formal pictures. Just remember to try it on the first day in case there is a problem.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
Cath

I noticed that only people who were over 50 or worked for the ship wore a tux. Of those that were over 50, only a handful wore tuxes. I recommend something with a dark jacket, if you care in the least. Otherwise, be comfortable.