To book direct or through agents?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a Star Clippers cruise in Greece in July. By booking direct through Star Clippers we are able to take the early payment discount ($575). Is there any economic or other advantage to booking through an agent?
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:42 AM

I can't speak specifically to Star Clippers, but in general you get the best deals through TA's. Shop around and see who is offering what.

http://www.cruisecompete.com is a good place to start--you can get multiple quotes from competing agencies. See how these compare to the offer you got--maybe you have a great deal already, maybe there's something better out there.

The other main advantage to having a TA is, that if something goes wrong, you have a person who can act as an advocate for you with the line. If the TA's company sells a lot of Star Clipper business, they have more leverage than you do when complaining.

Cheers!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:43 AM

good question. Almost all cruise lines will credit you the difference if the price drops after you buy your tickets. Buying early allows you to get good deals in the cheap cabins that will go early on. (For example, you will not find the category Q or M cabins a month before departure but you can get them several months before departure).

However, I have ALWAYS been able to find prices cheaper than what the cruise line offers. Even when the cruise line solicits you DURING A CRUISE to book your next cruise, I have always remembered that price and found something cheaper later on.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:42 AM

If you are novice cruiser, you may want to use an agent. Unless the agency specializes is Star Clippers, they will have to do the same work you do and investigate.

I book myself online and then call the cruise company directly with questions.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:00 AM

In my experience booking direct through the Cruise line has always been at least $100 more expensive per person. It pays to shop around. Sounds like fun!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:50 AM

I'm looking at booking a cruise with Star Clippers. Was the discount $575 per person or per couple or booking?
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 02:58 AM

I always save booking through my agent since she doesn't take as large of a commission when cruise lines charge the full commission.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:37 AM
DMG

An agent should be able to get you the early booking discount as well. I actually often call the cruise line, hold the cabin I want, then call my travel agent and assign the booking to her. She often gets me a better price than I was quoted by the line. Also you may get a shipboard credit by paying with Visa and American Express Platinum Card on certain lines.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Don't let the shipboard credit fool you. Almost always I can end up spending less money if i shop around and get the best price on the cruise than if i accept the shipboard credits offered. Even with shipboard credits, you can almost always find a price that is the same or slightly less than whatever you were quoted when they offered you that ship-board credit (even when you include the value of the credit!)
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice, I'll try a few agents and see what they come up with.
In response to SGibson - the $575 discount is per person on the Athens summer 2004 itinery, if booked by March 31 (published in the Star Clippers brochure).