How to get a good/fair deal?

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get a good/fair deal?

I know nothing about cruises. However, my nephew will be graduating from college this spring and wants to join a friend on a cruise. His friend booked the crusie for approximately $750, however, he is being quoted approximately $1,400 for similar accomodations via an internet inquiry to the crusie lines. He can't afford this. He is recieving follow up E-Mails from Carnival. I told him to call a travel agent or bargain via E-Mail. Any suggestions on how to get a better deal? He really deserves this vacation.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I've used www.cruisequick.com for mass marketed cruise lines and been very pleased. It is strictly done via the internet but everything has always gone fine for me and much less $$ than the cruise line quotes.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks petlover! I'll forward the information to him.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Sorry I can't recommend cruisequick, please be aware if there is a problem you cannot reach a live person by phone. I had a $300 credit from Princess cruise lines, they kept the coupon as commission and did not reduce the price of my cruise. I contacted cruisequick many times and received the brush off. I had already made final payment to the cruise line so I was stuck with this travel agency. Just a word of caution. If you do a text search here on cruisequick you will see others have had problems with them as well.

Discount online agencies: www.bestpricecruises.com, cruises-n-more.com, cruisecompete.com.

Spring cruises book up fast, but as a general rule never book with the cruise line direct, they are significantly higher unless it with RCCL that has stopped ta disocounting (you can still find small discounts by shopping around).
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
katybird

www.mycruisevalue.com, www.buycruises.com and www.cruise411.com usually have good pricing.
I always phone once I find a quote on the internet as it can even be lower

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM

We used cruisequick.com for a Carnival cruise and got an excellent price. I like using the email system so I have everything in writing plus I don't have to hang around a telephone. I forgot the travel rep I used there but he was very responsive and quick to get back with me. They don't do any research though, you need to handpick your cruise, dates and cabin category and then let them price it for you. Their price beat several other quotes I received.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Try CruiseCompete.com

It's not a travel agency, but rather a site that allows various agencies to offer competing bids for your cruise. You can then compare offers and decide which (if any) agencies you want to contact.

Good luck!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input! I will pass it onto my nephew.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Travelinewifey, are you saying that they gave you NO credit on your $300 coupon? Because their website states that (other than Entertainment Book coupons, which they do not honor) they discount all coupons by 16%. And you have to mail it to them. This policy is clearly stated on their FAQ's on their website. Several years ago that's just what happened to me, but they did eventually credit me (this was also after final payment).

By the way, to use Cruisequick, it is very important to know the actual category that you want, not just "oceanview" for example. An exact cabin number is even better. I once received a porthole cabin in a bad location, because I was not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between categories. I recently booked five cabins with them, because they were much lower ($100 pp) than anyone on cruisecompete. However, I gave them the exact cabin numbers I wanted, so there would be no confusion. They are good, but you really must know exactly what you want. For that reason, I don't think lovethecape's novice son should be using them (unless he knows his friend's cabin number and chooses the cabin next door).
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM

vacationstogo.com also has great cruise prices/service.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Just checked Cruisequick.
My cruise $889.00
CruiseDirect.com has it for $709.00
Inside rooms...I don't know where is the catch but check it out.
Good luck!

P.S. I was booking my LV trip with my friend and hers was $750 and mine right after her $1100. So I asked why and they said Expedia's reserved seats on this plane were all taken. So I've booked another flight for the price.
Same thing might had happened to your boys. Cheers
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Joan, Yes, I sent the coupon direct to Cruisequick certified mail and they sent me an email confirming they received it and applied it. Princess confirmed that the coupon was turned in and used. My coupon was a credit from Princess due to a ship mishap when sailing Alaska last year. When I asked Cruisequick for my total price after the coupon was applied it was the same price as my original quote several months ago. We had already booked 6 rooms with them in the past so we were extremely disappointed to be treated so poorly by this company. I contacted them 7 times for an explantation, they kept telling me they would get back to me and they never did. As I said, you cannot speak to a live person through this company, it is very easy for them to give you the brush off if problems arise. Buyer beware

Also, as I mentioned above, it is still worth it to phone in person as well as price vacations online. We just saved an additional $125 per person off a rccl cruise because our ta gave us a discount that is not advertsed on their website.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hmmm...you guys have me worried! Although I did just check both cruises-n-more and cruisedirect, and both were higher than what I'm paying (Canada/New england in Sept 06). Travelinwifey, I am sorry you had so much trouble with cruisequick. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I will be very careful with this.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I think as long as you have a cut and dry reservation you'll be fine. My first reservations with them went off without a hitch. Just don't try sending coupon to them Also, as mentioned try calling cruises-n-more for a live quote, they have been cheaper both times I've used them via phone vs. online. My agent was Marsha at ext. 103.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM

I have used Pavlus Travel (cheapertravel.com) They are always at least a couple 100 $ cheaper. Definately give them a try.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:44 PM

My best deals have always been with Costco. However you have to be a member.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

We found our cruise was the same price where ever we looked so we booked through United Airlines where we at least got frequent flier miles. We received very good service.

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

ajcolorado: Where did you look may I ask? Was it on the usual sites such as Travelocity, Yahoo!, Orbitz, etc? Those prices seem to be identical. Costco, OTOH has been hundreds less and that can be beaten by group cruises through cruise critic. Of course that is only for certain cruises.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:28 PM

Please, someone EXPLAIN it to me...what is group cruises through cruise critic???
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Ziana: Try this. Look for "plan a group cruise"
http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/index.cfm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -