Sting Ray Excursion

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 04:11 PM
Dan

Sting Ray Excursion

My wife and I are going on the Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise and she is scared to swim with the stingrays. I have read that this is a great time. Can someone let us know how dangerous it is?

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Hilary

It isn't dangerous at all. Although the stingrays are wild animals and not domesticated, they have had contact with humans for years and years, and literally daily throughout their lives. Obviously you have to use good sense and treat these creatures with the utmost respect (don't try to hug them!<G>).

If your wife is nervous, you might want to go later in the day so the rays have had a chance to eat and are less assertive. The earlier the trip, the more hungry and pushy they

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 09:45 AM
John

There are two excursions to the "stingrays". One is a boat trip and you see them from a submersible boat (shallow). The other and best way is to swim (or snorkle) with them. You are in shallow water and have a guide. The stingrays come right up to you and will take "food" from your hand. They don't have teeth so it feels like a suction device. They are quite large but you are swimming so can't fall down. It really isn't dangerous. Some people object to them swarming around. To avoid this don't feed them.
By all means this is a once in a lifetime experience. Go For IT.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 12:54 PM
Sheron and Joe

-Dan-
We understand your wife's worries entirely. We took a trip simaler to yours a few months back for our honeymoon. We had a fantastic time catching the sun on the beautiful cruise ship. When we got into the water we were concerned as well but we swam for a while and had a marvolous time. However when we were just about to get back onto the boat, I (Sheron) looked back and saw my husband being pulled benieth the surface. I was petrified. Just then i looked down into the depths only to see a ten foot sting ray heading in my direction, i swam for my life screaming. The life guards quickly made it out there and saved our lives. My husband lost both his legs because they had to be amputated. I cannot bring myslef to imagine the horrer you may encounter when you board that cruise ship and get into the water with those dangerous killers. Please we beg of you, don't put yourself through the agony we suffered. Best wishes,
Sheron & Joe Myers

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 04:31 PM
Peggy

Hi!
That letter from Sheron and Joe was about the most ridiculous story I've heard yet. The Stingray City Tour where they boat you out to the shallow sand bars of Stingray City was by far the highlight of our cruise. You snorkle in water that is about 4 ft. deep, and the stingrays are swimming all around you. The worst that could happen to you would be if you don't shuffle your feet and accidently step on one. The guides give you all the info you need to have a once in a lifetime experience. I have yet to hear from anyone that went on this tour that they had a bad time. Hundreds of people do it every day and cherish the memories of experiencing these wonderful,graceful sea creatures. Enjoy!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Paul Therult

Hi Dan,
I am a travel agent. Two of my customers in the last few years have been sucked on by a stingray. It is not a pleasant experience. It is not like a vacuum cleaner. The suction is extrememly powerful. The affected body part will swell, turn red and then black and blue. One customer had to be treated with anti-biotics. The swelling and pain can last up to a week.
The stories you hear are true. Naturally, these are isolated cases since thousands go to these areas and have a great time. It is a great experience, I did it myself, but I also hang-glide and that is even more dangerous.
If you fear that you may be the one that a stingray falls in love with, DO NOT GO!

Paul

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 08:11 PM
sue

Paul, are you having fun leaving your morronic posts? Go away. Bye!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 08:53 PM
Paul

Dear Sue,
I believe you should do a little research on sting rays and while you are at it, take course in spelling.
Paul

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 05:08 AM
Elaine

Dan,
After several cruises, we 'swam w/sting rays' on a RCCL excursion. I was not only terrifed, but I cannot swim. My husband and I took the excursion, and I thought I'd just stay on boat. After a few minutes, I put on snorkle mask and mouthpiece, jumped in and never 'came up for air' 'til it was time to leave. The tour guide gives very imformative talk prior to arrival at Sting Ray City. Discusses every aspect. I shall now snorkle at age 50 at every port from now on. This was simply wonderful [and I was sweating from fear until I took the plunge].
Elaine

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Kerry

I too felt uncomfortable with the idea of swimming with stingrays - but I tried it and it definately was a highlight. The stingrays are so tame it is almost unnatural; but they are very unique creatures. I look forward to doing this again someday. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 12:08 PM
Monica

Swiming with the stingrays on my 1996 cruise was THE highlight of my trip. What an awesome experience. You are given detailed information on how to touch, where not to touch (tail and middle of the back), and how to feed (with open hand, fingers together. They are a sight to see and great to touch (silky smooth). If your wife can get up the nerve, I say try it.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:11 PM
Cassie

As a physician (and a recent stingray visitor too) hopefully I can clarify some of the difficulties. Paul is correct - the stingray is capable of leaving a fairly large bruise if it sucks on your skin, but obviously that is not life threatening. The mouth is on the underside so if you don't try to feed them or rub food scent on your arms or legs, they are not likely to suck on you. There is a toxin in the stinger on the tail, but it too is not life threatening to humans, altho it can be quite painful. The biggest risk is stepping on one and cutting your foot on the spines on the back. You must go in barefoot, so as not to injure the rays. However, the stingrays in Cayman are quite used to people and will not intentionally sting or injure you. If you are accidentally stung, all boat personnel know how to minimize the injury. I am sure most injuries are due to a panicked swimmer stepping on a ray or it's tail, not the ray attacking.

I found it a wonderful experience, but would NEVER encourage a panicky person to engage with any wildlife. You are standing in waistdeep water in the sandbar, and in fact, if you just stand still the rays are more likely to come and interact with you, rather than approaching a thrashing swimmer. Your wife can stay on the boat and take lots of pictures while you swim. I would be happy to email pictures of my encounter to any one who wants to see if for themselves.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 08:47 PM
Peg

Dan,
My sisters and I went to Grand Cayman and swam with the stingrays at Stingray City. It was by far the most incredible day of our trip! The stingrays are like big cats rubbing against your legs, and were not agressive at all. Yes, they can suck on your skin and leave a bruise,(around here we call it a hickey) but no one had that experience while we were in the water. They were very gentle and calm and we were able to hold small ones in our arms. I would recommend this to anyone! Don't let anyone scare you off. Talk to the dive masters and get firsthand information. Their job is to make sure you have the best time in the world.
Sue;I have one word for you. Spellcheck

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:59 AM
barb

hubby and I went on sting ray excursion in nov 98--it was different, something you have to do once in your life, and very non-threatening...nobody loses their legs, arms, or other body parts, the stingrays are not capable of "chewing" anything off your body....they do get very "friendly" and "curious" and you can pet them and feed them and they come and go...wear your little speedo beach shoes if you are squeamish, and look at it as an adventure in life...it was very cool.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 10:59 AM
John

My wife and I went diving with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. At stingray city, my wife was nervous in the water so she got out and the crew brough a ray up for the people on board to see. Another day we went out on a dive boat, me with scuba and her snorkling. Even though we had been briefed on how to interact with the rays, a very aggressive ray sucked on my arm and caused quite an injury. We had a dermatologist (tourist) on board who took a look and said he had never seen anything quite like it. The rays know that if they strike a diver's mask, the diver will drop the food or diving bag in their hand, so some will really come at you. In spite of the injury, I wouldn't have missed the experience of diving with the rays, but if your wife is afraid, let her stay on the boat. The crew will not let you wear any footgear at stingray city, including fins or sandals or water shoes.