Reload this Page >

Stealing luggage in the halls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Phil

Every time that I cruise I am amazed that they just drop the luggage outside of your cabins and leave it.<BR><BR>I always think, "Well, what if someone down the hall picked up my bag, wheeled it into their room and took out what they wanted and then brought it back later?"<BR><BR>Does anyone know how frequently this takes place?<BR><BR>Has anyone done this themselves?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Bennie

This is a good reason to only leave clothing in your suitcases. It can always be replaced. Never leave camera, money, etc. in the suitcases.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Jose

Maybe Paul T can explain why the luggage is always left in the hallways for the hoodlums and vandals to do with as they please.<BR><BR>Then Peter will bash Paul for his helpful insights.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Peter

Jose - why don't you just write the post for Paul, then for me and save both of us the trouble. You seem to know exactly whats going to happen next. P.S. - could you please tell us who's going to win the super bowl so I don't have to watch the entire NFL season.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Elaine

On our RC cruise last month, our luggage was placed in our room, not outside in the hall. The only problem re luggage that I saw was when it was all accumulating in large area near the stairs (basically, a sea of black bags)to get distributed. A few people were walking up..getting their own bags. Someone should have been checking to make sure they were getting the right bags. I'm not saying people meant to 'steal' someone else's bag(s), but a mistake could easily have been made. Then the next day we found a notice in our room asking that we check our bags because several had come up missing.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Karen

Hi Phil<BR><BR>I was on a cruise and yes, my bags were left outside, but I am thankful the bag was there and nothing has been taken. But like the earlier post states, don't keep any important items in there. There are people who put locks on their bags. Just a suggestion.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:12 PM
police

Fool, don't you know the bag patrol roams the hallways keeping a watchful eye on your bags?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Paul Therault

Oh good Phil. Mention something like that on this forum and it is bound to happen.<BR><BR>Best to buy insurance and check your coverage amount. Should be enough to cover the deductible on your homeowners policy.<BR><BR>At least you will be on your way home. Better than things getting stolen before your cruise.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:00 AM
NotPhil

The Detroit Lions are going to win the Super Bowl this year - GO LIONS!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:30 AM
NotPhil

MIAMI DOLPHINS RULE........

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Melissa

Yes make sure not to leave valuables. I had a client who on the last night of the cruise, where you leave your bad outside of the room, had packed her jewelry case in her bag. Her diamond earings were stollen, and there was nothing we could do to help her.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Paul Therault

Hmmm ... just the diamond earings and not the entire case??

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:13 AM
IRSMAN

sounds like insurance fraud to me

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Melissa

Maybe they just stole the earrings so she wouldn't notice until she got home, and carnival couldn't do a search. guy got off scott free. Now if they stole the whole thing overnight, it would have been a huge deal right?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Carl

Melissa, here is a scenario for you. I am a thief. I bring some extra luggage tags with me. I get off the ship fairly early in the departure schedule and look for expensive bags. I descreetly rip off the luggage tags and replace with mine. I wheel the suitcases out and go through customs.<BR><BR>You are looking for your bag for an hour or so and then report it missing. I am an hour away by then.<BR><BR>So, it is not necessarily a BIG DEAL that you think it would be. They do not lock down the whole exit because you cannot find your bags. By the way the waiting room for luggage is a zoo. None is sitting around looking for people ripping off luggage tags (only takes a second and can easily be covered up by leaning over bag).<BR><BR>Food for thought.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Nick

I think they were talking about it looking like insurance fraud because it is easy for some lady to claim her bag was broken into and stuff stolen. It is harder for same lady to make whole bag disappear.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Anna

Carl----that's precisely why we pack everything in carry-on sized bags and carry it all on and off ourselves.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:06 PM
bags

Normally when the baggage thiefs hit it is in force, with hordes of them descending upon the baggage claim area,<BR>all armed to the teeth with assault weapons, etc.--they are especially bad to take all those tee shirts, etc.you bought in mexico.<BR>One thing they really love is the little<BR>toiletries you stole from the ship.<BR>They really don't look for your jewelery cause they know you would not pack it in a suitcase, now would you?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Paul Therault

Good post Melissa but the thief that does that must be a pretty inept thief. First the owner of the luggage will not find about the missing jewelry case until the owner arrives home so why just take the earrings? Here's another senario: The thief first has to take the bag into his (I'll say his) cabin. rummage through it. Find the jewerly case. Rummage through that. Take the earrings out. Replace the case in the luggage and then hopefully will not get caught by the owner bringing the luggage back. Getting caught would be my concern if I were to steal items from luggage.<BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:38 AM
Grissim

Paul, what would you have the theif do instead? Leave the stolen suitcase in his cabin?<BR><BR>We all know that people steal stuff from stuicases. Some people take the whole suitcase after the cruise as they exit the shi and grab your bag and load it in their waiting car/taxi.<BR><BR>Others grab your bag while it is in the hall. What do they do with it? Do you think that they repack things, leaving fingerprints? Possibly. Ships do not have any crime scene unit with which they can lift prints. Also, no thief would want to just leave the suitcase in his cabin the whole cruise. <BR><BR>I would also think that noi thief would want to be seen by the true owner of the suitcase, wheeling it into or out of his cabin. That means would he steal from his neighbor to reduce the time he is in the hall? Or would he wheel the suitcase to another floor so that he will never have to run into you except for the short distance from where he took the suitcase to teh elevator?<BR><BR>Tough decisions for a thief. Most thiefs on a cruiseship do not steal for crack. They steal because the opportunity is there and they can't help themselves. So the thief would be fairly smarter than most theives and thus would be concerned about being caught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -