Reload this Page >

Spending the day on Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Eric

Where would be a good place to have the taxi driver drop us off for a day on Seven Mile beach? We would like to rent some chairs & buy some drinks/lunch. Thanks for any info.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Frank

I can only tell you not to be downwind of the Turtle Farm, the smell is overpowering.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 03:56 PM
Rick

Public beach might be an option, but I'm unsure of all their facilities

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 02:03 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Eric,<BR><BR>Any hotel will let you swim and most will let you rent chairs. Ask your taxi driver.<BR><BR>To Frank: I have been to the Turtle Farm three times and never experienced an odor. Are you sure there wasn't an animal farm between you and the Turtle Farm.<BR><BR>Possible we can hear from others. Hate to send out signals to others that would wish to visit this great place.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:23 PM
Cathy

I would find out about a good beach before you get to Grand Caymen. This past summer, when our ship got to Grand Caymen, 2 other ships were in port as well. It was a mad house!! The taxi drivers were no help at all as they were trying to fill cabs and move out as quickly as possible. My friends and I grabed a cab and ended up going to the same beach that the cruise ships were using. The beach itself was gorgeous and the water was beautiful, but it was crowded.<BR>Talk to the Grand Caymen tourist department, they could probably give you some good ideas. Or post on the Caribbean section of the Fodor's board. I have heard that Rum point in nice. It is not on 7 mile beach, but would be a nice place to "chill"

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 09:28 AM
Marilyn

The good news is that ALL beaches in Grand Cayman are public so you can use any of them. Using the hotels chairs, etc. are another matter but most will let you. I would suggest not going to the Beach Club where the ships take people. Just grab a cab and go out near the Westin or somewhere in that area. Rum Point is also a good choise. They have beach, shade, hammocks, etc. You can go by either ferry or cab.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Polecat

Rum Point would be a good choice if you have enough time. It is not on Seven Mile beach however. You can rent beach chairs there and there is a little hamburger joint with good food and a souvineer shop and a small area for snorkling as well as a nice beach. You can get ther by ferry from the Hyatt. If you want to go to Seven Mile beach, you could still go to the Hyatt and use their facilities on the beach. There are several shops there and a lot of activity from Red Sail Sports who has a stand there that rents water sports equipment.