Search

space bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
space bags

Has anyone used the space bags (squeeze the air out)? How were your items when you unpacked? Any information will be helpful. Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM

I have used space bags, but always for fairly crushable items - for 2 reasons. First, the obvious - I don't want a lot of wrinkled stuff. But also, it almost does not make sense for items that are flat and thin anyway (and these are generally the least crushable). For example, they are great for sweaters, winter coats, socks - fat, fluffy things. My daughter used them on a trip to Scandinavia where she needed warmer things for only a few days for things like glacier hiking. Also, she was limited by group as to size of luggage she could take.

For a cruise, it might not be worth it (unless you are going to Alaska where you might need warmer things)
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM

We have always used these bags for packing. IMO, the clothes arrive not wrinkled and it takes up so much less space. Another nice feature is if your bag is opened and looked through during security checks (once it's out of your sight), things are how you packed it without being turned topsy turvy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
katybird

I thought these bags would be wonderful but found they would not work well for me with clothes that wrinkle. I think they would be good for bulky crushable things as Gail mentioned.ALso good to pack the dirty clothes in for the trip home. I thought of using them for underwear but I like to use the outside pockets of the luggage for that. I have also heard that they sometimes fail and become useless as a vacuum bag.

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:21 AM

I've used them as Gail suggested, for bulky items like sweaters with great success. One thing I did learn is that while you can pack more in a suitcase in less space, you still are adding the weight of the extra items. I know it seems so logical now but I was amazed at how heavy my suitcase became when I added the extra sweaters the space bag allowed!