Reload this Page >

Southern Carribean 2002

Search

Southern Carribean 2002

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Michelle

Southern Carribean 2002

Beware of this cruise itinerary! They have two cruises - would not advise the Aruba, Caracus, Dominica, Grenada, St. Thomas. Aruba was nice and St Thomas was great. The others were depressing slums that could be considered dangerous at best! However, the cruise ship itself was wonderful. Helpful crew, good food. It was our second on the line and we would do it again, but we prefer to leave from Ft Lauderdale - NOT SAN JUAN. I'd be happy to elaborate if needed.<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Hiho

Michelle - please elaborate.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
rose

WHat line did you go on and why not leave from San Juan. I was looking at Royal at of San Juan to Bermuda

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:48 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Michelle,<BR><BR>I guess you haven't cruised often. Most Caribbean islands are like third world countries. You have to enjoy the beaches, tours, culture, flora and history.<BR><BR>I am surprised you did not enjoy Grenada.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Albert

Yes, what line did you sail? Most Caribbean islands are not "like" third world countries, they ARE third world countries -- but typically safe if you stick to advised areas with great beaches, nice people, interesting shopping.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Bill

Michelle:<BR>Don't write off Dominica as a "depressing slum", It's one of the most gorgeous islands in the Caribbean, if not the world. Beautiful scenery, friendly people and, unless you're a "hairless beach ape", an ideal vacation spot. <BR> Next time forego the stuffy formality of the cruise and spend a week touring this garden island.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Gail

Bill,<BR> I agree with you. We were really impressed with the beauty of Dominica. As stated above, the islands are mostly third world cultures, but there is so much beauty to be seen. Get out of the center of town and really see the island.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Theresa

I wasn't impressed with Dominica. I will stay on the ship next time our ship docks here.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I have to agree that Dominica is sooo beautiful.<BR><BR>Other than the fabulous beaches where the diving and snorkeling are tops. You can visit Soufriere Sulfer Springs, Boiling Lake and the Valley of Desolation. How about the two waterfalls at Trafalgar or maybe Victoria Falls. Fort Shirley and Fort Cachacrou. The Botanical Gardens and Aviary, the Parrot Habitat. The Emerald Pool.<BR><BR>This is the island of Water and Nature. It is not the island of shopping. It has the highest mountains of any Caribbean Island.<BR><BR>I would not advise anyone to stay on the ship.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:59 PM
Hiho

The tallest peak on a Carb. island is Pico Duarte in the Dominican Republic - 10,382 feet. It towers over the 4,747 feet of Morne Diablotin in Dominica.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hiho, Sorry. Going back to my transcript this is the way it was explained to me: "Dominica features the highest mountains of any island in the Caribbean."<BR><BR>Possibly the key word here is "mountains." Plural.<BR><BR>In any event, you are correct.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:38 AM
June

Took this exact cruise for my honeymoon and absolutely LOVED it. The only port that we didn't leave the boat for was Caracus, Venezuala, nobody could tell us why we stopped and all tours 8 hrs - not a place Princess should keep. True Greneda & Dominica are poor, but the islands are rich in culture & beauty. Make sure to take shore excursions or your own tours. 1-2 hours inland there is SOOO much beauty, got to see where coco comes from, taste lots of native fruits, waterfalls, etc. Make sure to eat Nutmeg Ice Cream in Grenada. If you want American towns and shops, what's the point of leaving the USA?