Small ships

Dec 28th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Melanie

Small ships

We've been on NCL and RCCL in the Caribbean several times. I'd like to book on a smaller ship next time, itinerary not too important although we've done Eastern / Southern Caribbean before. Which cruise lines should we be looking for?

Dec 28th, 2001, 11:12 AM
xxxx

Silverseas, Seabourn to mention two.

6 star deluxe cruising, (and in the UK they are selling at 50% savings on selected itineraries).Still not cheap, but a fantastic opportunity to sample the finest at a reduced fare. I have travelled with Seabourn and it is a superb cruise and travel experience.

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:41 PM
howard

Melanie-We just returned from an 11 day trip on the Wind Star(300 passengers).
Food, ports and staff were excellent.
This ship will move to Ft. lauderdale mid Jan and will do a 7 day cruise stopping @ Bimini, Key West and a couple of Cays.E-mail me if you want any further info.

Dec 28th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Melanie,

Regal Empress is another choice. It is not tiny at 1,100 passengers but the price is right.

Paul

Dec 29th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Rita

I'll throw my hat into the ring and say Royal Olympic's, Olympia Voyager. Smaller ship (860 passengers) that is still very new (delivered in 2000). I did the Mayan Equinox on her last spring and it was a treat.

Dec 29th, 2001, 11:31 PM
Paul Therault

Yes Rita, there are quite a few smaller ships that sail Europe in summer and the Caribbean in winter.

I did sail the Royal Oylmpic Voyager in the Med last year and it was quite an experience. It is like a large speedboat. I was concerned about the food but was pleasantly surprised. The service was outstanding. The shows were rather ethnic but I imagine that should change in the Caribbean.

Howard was correct concerning Windstar. There is another masted ship cruise line called Windjammer that is much less money. Of course the ships are entirely different than those of a regular cruise line.

Silversea and Seabourn are top notch cruise lines but you pay for the experience.

At one time smaller cruise ships were plentiful but they were all older ships and the companies could not afford to operate them. The companies folded.

Paul

Dec 30th, 2001, 07:24 AM
howard

Paul- A quick warning about Windjammer.While in port we met some people doing a 2 week sail on one of their ships and they were hating it.
Very rustic(a polite word), nowhere to sit on deck, and having to make your dinner selection right after breakfast made them quite disappointed.
The ships we encountered looked like they could use a little TLC.

Dec 30th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Paul Therault

You're absolutely right Howard. I sailed Windjammer twice and although the price was extremely reasonable I always returned to Windstar and Star Clippers.

They do call their cruises Windjammer Barefoot. This should give you the clue.

Paul

Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:46 PM
Andy

Melanie- We did the Windsurf last May from Rome to Nice and fell in love with the ship==330 passengers=upscale casual=no coat and tie=terrific food=ideal ports-----
It is doing Barcelona to Provence this spring along with Nice to Rome,Rome to Nice and also the Amalfi coast---
It can't be beat for a European cruise as it goes into much smaller ports than the largers ships-- It is FABULOUS!!!