Single occupancy cabins

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Angelina

Single occupancy cabins

I will more than likely be cruising as a "single bunker" & am not interested in pairing up w/ a roomie picked by the line. Has anyone ever stayed alone in a cabin? I am under the impression it's 2x what couples pay! Don't some lines have cabins made for single occupancy? Thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Dawn

Dear Angelina, <BR> <BR>I have cruised as a single three times, and love it. I don't have to worry about keeping someone up while I read in bed, or wake someone up when I rise early to walk the deck and attend the morning exercise classes. The cruise lines I've been on don't have 'single' cabins, but you get a regular cabin all to yourself. What the lines do, is reserve some cabins for singles. Not sure what all of the lines charge, but the ones I've been on charge a percentage of the couples rate. Any travel agent can tell you what that is for the lines you are interested in.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Angelina, <BR> <BR>The single Occupancy rate is quite high for most ships except for the upscale cruiise lines where it is about 35% extra. The only problem is that the cuise will end up about the cost of a small automobile. <BR> <BR>Carnival has Category 1A Cabins that have one upper and one lower berth. These are sold at a discount. Also the Destiny has "night owl" cabins that are next to the disco that they also sell at a discount. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 02:27 AM
mike shervin

Angelina, <BR> <BR>The Princess brochure shows 150%, but for some sailings or cabins, I forget which, its 200%. I was also told that on a discount price, the rate was 200%. <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 03:01 AM
Julia

Costa cruises has single cabins. I paid US 850 for a 7 nights Caribbean cruise last year - Costa Romantica. And a friend told me about Orient Lines - Crown Odyssey - single cabins in deck safari. Not sure about your interest, but you may begin searching these cruises lines. Good luck.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 12:50 PM
Dawn

Paul is wrong. It will not cost you the price of a small auto to cruise as a single. Get in touch with a good travel agent, and see what they come up with for you. It's worth the "few" and I mean, few, extra dollars!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 01:08 PM
Marilyn

I believe you misunderstood Paul's statement. I think he was referring to the cost of an upscale cruise that would be one of the ones that only charge a 35% single upcharge. People on here are so anxious to jump on him that they look for something wrong.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:10 PM
Dawnn

Angelina, Paul and Marilyn, <BR>I may have jumped the gun, but I didn't mean to jump on Paul. We both should have asked Angelina what cruise lines she was interested in and where she wanted to go. I was unaware of any single cabins on any line, so I stand corrected. Okay?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:15 PM
Surlok

Well, it depends. On the luxury lines like Crystal and Silversea, the single supplement is 110% on the lowest categories. On Seabourn, the "run of the ship" single fare varies, from 110 to 150%. On Radisson, is more or less what Paul T. said, although is not percentage calculated over the double rate, but rather a determined and fixed amount of U$. <BR> <BR>I've cruised twice on RCCL as single. The first time, I paid a 150% supplement over the double fare, the second time was just 125%, and a had a C cat. suite.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:55 PM
faith

Hi Angelina, <BR>I feel I got a pretty good deal on my June 10-17 cruise on the Norweigan Sea--$800 (cheapest inside) and I lucked out with an upgrade. <BR>I think I got lucky because I was willing to cruise on an older ship, in the very beginning of the season, and I booked 4-6 weeks before the cruise. <BR>Mostly I chose this cruise because of the itinerary (very port intensive). Carnival's Victory (a much newer ship) would have cost me hundreds more for a shorter cruise. Good luck! <BR>Faith

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Michael

Hi Angelina, <BR> <BR>The Cunard ships (QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and CARONIA) have lots and lots of single cabins. So does the SS Norway, and so did the out-of-biz Premier Line there ships.....are you catching the drift her? ......Older ships, designed orginially for transportation, have lots of single cabins!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Michael

Ooops, I meant to say "....are you catching the drift here?......."