Single cabins

Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single cabins

I understand Celebrity Edge and Apex now offer single cabins. I have paid double rates for my last 2 cruises. Does anyone know if they are designated cabins or regular cabins sold that way based on occupancy? If the former, does anyone know what the cabin numbers are? I tried reaching out to Celebrity, but they weren’t helpful unless I was booking at the instant.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 02:34 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors loyercm. We moved your thread to the Cruise Forum
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moderator1 View Post
Welcome to Fodors loyercm. We moved your thread to the Cruise Forum
Thank you!
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are more likely to get answers on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 04:34 PM

Are you interested only in Celebrity? There are other cruise lines with ships that offer single cabins.
Old May 1st, 2021, 06:39 AM

I think they are specially designated for singles on Celebrity, which is why they are very limited in number. Don't presume that's going to get you some great bargain, I think pricing isn't that different on the Edge.

I don't understand paying double for single occupancy, I would never do that. Not that I don't understand the room issue, as I do (and I don't understand people who think they should pay the exact same rate per person when they are occupying a room by themself in a hotel or anywhere, if it's a regular size room, even singles aren't half the space). BUT on cruises, the price includes meals, right? And some other stuff, facilities or activities, and obviously you aren't consuming twice of that, so I don't understand how any legitimate cruise could charge you exactly the same as a couple if the rate does include food, etc.

I don't know why a cruise would price the same for singles as two people combined, but if so, it indicates that just don't want single business at all, I guess, not even if they priced them maybe at 2/3 the rate? Something fairer than same rate. If they have high enough demand, I guess they can do that.

This is a good article discussing different lines and their single options, apparently Norwegian is rated the best value for singles.
https://blog.cruiseinsider.com/best-...solo-travelers

Old May 1st, 2021, 03:02 PM

Nearly all cruise lines charge 100% single supplement.

Usually the single cabins are smaller but you'd have to look at the particular ship. For example on NCL Bliss, the Single studios are less than 100 sq feet and come with a twin bed, and they are all interior. While an inside cabin "Sail Away rate" would be 134 sq feet and you could sleep on a larger bed, for only $100 more.

You can find video tours of single/solo cabins on Youtube.