Shore excursions Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't cruised before, but I have to believe it is cheaper to "do your own thing" than to book through the cruise line
Looking for suggestions for these two ports of call - family with tween/teenage children. Is it possible to get away from the crowds?
How about renting a jeep on Grand Cayman and touring around. Not sure what there is to see? Most of the excursions seem to center around stingrays which doesn't particularly appeal to us.
How about Cozumel? We stayed along the Riviera Maya a couple of summers ago, and visited Tulum and Playa del Carmen on the mainland. What is there to see on the island?
We're going in August so I'm sure it will be hot which bothers my DH so may need an excursion that involves water to be able to cool off...

Thanks for any suggestions
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM

If you want to get away from it all, book a limo at Grand Cayman and have the driver take you anywhere you want.

For Coozumel, go to the ECO park on the mainland. There is water and there are attractions to keep the teens and tweens occupied. Other option would be the Coba Mayan ruin, but then it'll be hot in August. Unfortantely, both places will have plenty of visitors.

Be aware of that both the EcoPark and the Coba Myan Ruin are quite a distance away. I will recommend booking it though the ship rather than on your own, just in case you don't make it back on time.

On our last trip there (2008), there was a traffic tie up and we were a half hour behind scheudle going back. The tour operator called ahead and they hold the ferry for us. If we miss the ferry, we miss getting back to the cruise ship.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:04 AM

You certainly don't need a limo in Grand Cayman. There's only one road, and it's easy to follow (though you have to drive on the left, British-Style). But don't spend the extra funds for a jeep; a car will do everywhere on the island, but traffic can be a problem, especially around George Town and Seven Mile Beach. There are several interesting sights to see, but on Grand Cayman, the shore excursions are often very competitively priced. The reason to go on your own there would be to get away from the crowds which is possible.

If you want to do Stingray City (one of my very favorite experiences of all time), then definitely look into booking a local company on your own. Just look at the roster of excursions and see when your ship's tours are going (usually early morning). Book at a different time. The excursion only take a couple of hours and it's better if you can avoid the biggest crush of people.

Just be aware that all ships have to tender passengers ashore in Grand Cayman, and you absolutely must plan time for that.

I like Eschew's recommendations for Cozumel, But this is definitely a port to take a snorkeling excursion if you want to snorkel. The reefs, though damaged by hurricanes, are still tremendous.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Good comments Doug, Grnad Cayman shore excursion is actually very competitivly priced. However, everyone is going to the same places in Grand Cayman anyway so I don't know if you can really get away from the crowd. Everyone wnats to go to Hell and back or the 7 mile beach and I thought the sand bluff would be more empty. When 2 or 3 ships are anchored, it will add as much as 6 to 7000 people to the place.

I suggested a limo for a number of reasons. Driving on the wrong side of the road, not knowing the local traffic law and terrain, not knowing where to go is the biggest reason not to rent a car. Keeping a cab for the day is more expensive than hiring a limo. The limo driver will also act as your tour guide and take you places that only locals frequent, and maybe away from the crowd. I always ask the driver where he takes his family for dinner and that's the place you go eat.

Depending on the sea conition, the cruise ship may tender you ashore at the alternate port facilitie on the east side of the island. All of a sudden, you are not close to anything anymore and need a cab ride to George Town. The limo driver should know where your ship will tender and greet you at the proper facility, just to be sure, get his cell phone number.

One thing that I forget to mention is that we thoroughly enjoyed the Atlantis Submarine and I think is well worth it. The teens and tweens may like it too. We were tendered ashore on the alternate facilities due to wave condition. We took a short cab ride to George Town, walk about a bit and returned to take the Atlants Submarine tour.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM

I should clarify the location of the alternate tender facility. It is east of Greorge Town. It is not on the eastern tip of the island. Spotts Bay (is that what it is called?) is not all that far from George Town, maybe 5 miles east of George Town. The facility is very bare minimum with nothing near by. You will have some street venders setting up outside and that's about it.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - driving on the left wouldn't be a problem for us since I'm from England orginally. Eschew - what is the sand bluff that you are referring to?
We've been to the Coba ruins before, so we'll skip that. Is there anything on the island at Cozumel rather than going to the mainland (we went on vacation to the Riviera Maya a couple of years ago)
Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM

There are several small Mayan Ruins in Cozumel itself. They are small in comparison to Tulum or Coba. San Gervasio is probably your best bet.

There are plenty of great beaches and reef for snokerling on the southwest side of the island. The light house by Punta Sur is popular. Tumba del Caracol is around there too.

Some prefer to go to the Punta Molas lighthouse (north tip of the island) and the beach around that area. Aguada Grande is near by. It maybe less crowded but not as nice.

I wouldn't rent a car, negotiate a price for a cab to take you there and bring you back. I am guessing that you will have about 6 or 7 hours on the island total. The dock area is quite nice now compare to what it was before.

The sand bluff is on the far east side of the Grand Cayman Island. Below is a link to a webcam of the area. http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/124...man-Sand-Bluff

You may want to check out the nature reserve on the Grand Cayman. Below is a link to their calendar of events.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/calendar.html

Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
cd

As soon as you get off your cruise ship, you will walk past many car rentals. We, and another couple, rented a jeep drove out of the lot, turned right, drove about 10-15 min and on the right hand side is a wonderful National Park where you can swim with dolphins or snorkel or just walk the grounds...http://www.cozumelparks.com/ We then drove around the island because there is only one road, we stopped at San Francisco Reef, not to dive, but just to have a bite to eat and a drink, we then drove into town. We felt it a great way to our time in Cozumel.

And as mentioned by another poster, in Grand Cayman we loved Stingray City, been there twice, the water is so incredible! so blue and so clear!
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:05 AM

We now take the local bus ($2.50) to Cemetary Beach in Cayman which is just past Seven Mile Beach. The snorkeling isn't good but there are very few people on this beach. There were maybe 12 other people and no one from our ship the last time we were there. (You can tell by the ship's towels.) There is a covered bus stop with bench right across the street from the path to the beach. There are pine trees on this beach so you have pine needles on the beach! There is nothing here but the beach. But feeding the rays is a MUST do with kids! Captain Marvin is very good for this. You can probably google him. Turn left when you get off the tender and walk a block or two and you'll find him on the right.
In Cozumel the national park is Chankanaub. The Kids would like this park. There is good snorkeling, they have a swim with a dolphin which is fun to watch if you don't swim with them, a small museum and our last time there they had a bungee trampoline. They have a doplhin encounter which we think is a waste of $$$$! You stand on a waist deep water platform and a dolphin swims by so you can pet her. She sprays you with water and does a trick or two and thats really it. There is s cab ride there and a fee to get in. They have a site you can look up for lots of info.
In Cozumel we now go to Money Bar Beach - $8 cab ride for 4 , a $2 if they think about it for great snorkeling. We have been there more times than we can count, have stayed on the ship if the weather in't perfect but as snorkelers we really like Money Bar Beach!