Shore Excursions and Private Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be a group of six, ages 10-80 (with the 80 year old unable to walk long distances) and would like to set up some private shore excursions and private tours during our cruise and in Rome, pre-cruise.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations other than those below or has anyone had recent dealings with the following:

Florence/Livorno--
papillonservice.com
prestigerent.com
romelimousines.com (Bob's Limousines & Tours)
florencetour.com
tuscany-trips.com

Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi
aptours.it
tourofitaly.com (Giovanni/Giancarlo Gargiulo)

Also, most seem to require a credit card upfront, but the websites don't appear to be secure websites. Is anyone else uncomfortable with this and how have you handled this situation?

Thanks. CCMP
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM

I was on a Med cruise last Ocotber and booked all the private guides of time but did not have to pay anything up front...nor

did I have to give a Credit Card.

There were so many private guides and taxi/guides at the ship that had I not been already booked I could have easy taken one of them.

However, it is better to be booked ahead so long as you are not paying up front.

Percy
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM

We did a semi private tour (my husband and I shared with a single man) to Pompeii with Context Rome/Scala Reale a couple years ago. It was fabulous- an art history professor was our guide. She was an American teaching in Rome. Context Rome arranged it for us- not sure if it is a regular offering right now or not, but it was worth every euro!
J.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM

We just returned from a Mediterrean cruise. We did Pompeii and I have to say if there are older people in your group, this will be hard for them. The streets in Pompeii are hard to navigate and we had older people who stumbled quite a bit.

We also did a tour to the Cinque Terre and some of the people did not realize the amount of walking involved. Be sure to check this with your tour guide office to see just how much walking is involved.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who posted a reply to my question. Any other replies are still welcome. I have booked a private excursion for Naples/Pompeii (hope my dad can make it if he brings a cane) and for Florence. Still deciding/researching Rome! CCMP
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I am concerned for your dad on Pompeii. They have these huge boulders everywhere and walking surfaces are very uneven. Our tour guide was not very patient with the older folks and we were concerned they could not keep up.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
kp

We used Tour of Italy when we visited the Amalfi Coast in June--they provided excellent service and will go out of their way to meet your needs.
I was able to fax my credit card number--seemed safer than e-mail.

I agree with others that Pompeii can be difficult to navigate. Also--there is no shade, no benches or rest areas within the site. Perhaps some of your group can tour Pompeii and others can visit the museum.