Search

Sept Alaska cruise need some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sept Alaska cruise need some thoughts

We're considering taking a cruise through the inside passage to Alaska from Vancouver or Seattle during the first two weeks of September. Has anyone taken a cruise at that time? How is the weather? Any particular cruise line you liked better - so far, we're thinking Holland America.

Please - give me your thoughts - maybe it's a bit late and we should wait til summer.

I'm hoping for your wordes of wisdom!!

LN
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM
LN
Original Poster

Aw c'mon folks someone somewhere must have some thoughts!!!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
sallylouise

We cruised the first week in Sept a few years ago and were lucky that we had what we considered nice weather..cool at night in the 50's and 60's-70's during the day but it can get cooler or even warmer! We had one drizzly day of rain in Skagway. Layer clothing and you should be fine. TAke turtle necks as well as tees, a fleece jacket, rain gear. We used hats and gloves out on deck as it can get quite brisk out there. I would take the same stuff for a cruise anytime to Alaska plus shorts.
Pros: Shops are having huge end of the season sales and the foliage was starting to turn in the Yukon.
It's a wonderful cruise and we plan to do it again....looking at late May this time to try a different season.
Are you going THIS year?

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM
sallylouise

Forgot to add..www.cruisecritic.com is a very helpful site.

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
LN
Original Poster

Yes, we're trying to get the trip together now but we were wondering just how cold it does get there. The clothing you recommend is what I was planning to pack - just needed to know if the clothes should be heavier.

Is September a rainy season in Alaska?
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Rain is always a distinct possibility in Alaska and the luck of the draw. Of my 6 Alaska cruises, early September and late September were the worst weather wise, June the best.

HAL is a great choice!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:25 PM

A few years ago we took an Alaska cruise the first of September. We had great weather, glaciers were calving, and the leaves were changing on White Pass. We were on Holland America, and enjoyed ourselves.

We just got back from another Alaskan cruise, and had good weather. This time we were on Princess, and had another great time. I don't think September is too late---I would to it. I think the weather is luck of the draw.