3 day cruises LA to Ensenada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recent opinions on whether Carnival or RCCI is a better choice for a 3-day cruise from LA to Ensenada? We can't go away for longer and have not been on a cruise before, although we are a well travelled family. Any experience on this route in December? Is there a problem with seasickness?
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:44 PM

went on RCCI and the weekend although fun was just that a weekend.
People did not follow rules much.
That being said would not cruis with anyone else.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

What kind of rules do you mean?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 02:39 PM

Living in Southern California we've done these type of weekend getaways several times. I really wouldn't recommend them. These weekenders are just too short of time and December is not very good weather. (I guess this is all relative to those who may live in snow conditions).

If I were you, I'd wait until the time is right and you can go on a cruise for at least a week. This way you'll really feel like you went on a vacation!
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 03:56 PM

I have a different opinion... we've done 3 short cruises on the west coast, one with RCI (to Ensenada) and two with Princess (both 2 day cruises to "nowhere&quot. It was fun to get away even if only for a very short duration, plus there's the added advantage of being able to drive to the port. It's no different to me vs. going to a nearby resort area for the weekend. On one of the Princess cruises we took a friend who had never cruised before and he loved it. Now he keeps asking me when we're planning another cruise

As far as RCI or Carnival, I don't think there's really much of a difference (although I have never sailed on Carnival). Don't expect the ships operating in these weekend cruise markets to be the best of the fleet. Princess was an exception as their cruises to nowhere are more or less a one time thing, not year round.

I think what Dars meant by 'rules' are people don't really dress up for these short cruises (you may see jeans, shorts, etc. in the dining room) and other things that aren't typical of a longer cruise.

If a weekend away is all you can spare, I say go for it.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:48 AM

I agree. Go for it! My hubby didn't know if he'd like cruising, so our first cruise was a 4-day on RCCL in the Caribbean. He loved it, no seasick problems. This was the New Years Eve cruise out of San Juan in 2000.

About the weather... I cruised out of LA on the Star Princess for a 1-week "Mexican Riviera" cruise. It was during March 02 spring break. Once we got to Mexico the weather was great, but returning to LA at the end of the trip it was chilly. I had a cabin with a balcony and slept w/the door open but didn't do much sunning on the return to port. Windy, chilly... you might encounter this in December.

Seasickness can be a problem if the water is choppy. The ship's medical staff can help with that. Some people wear patches, which seemed to help. I've never had a problem with it... knock on wood. (and I've had a couple of trips on rough seas out to Bermuda)
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM

Yes that is what i was talking about"rules" people saving seats bathing suits in the buffet line a lot of cig. butts in the planters I felt like they treated the weekend like a camping trip.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Simpsonc510--Did people on the LA cruise in March have sea sickness problems when they were nearing LA?
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 07:03 PM

To answer the original question. Difference between the two lines. Carnival Ecstasy & Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas. While Carnival may be slightly cheaper, the Monarch is recently refurbished and would be the newer ship. Very similar experience though.