Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Scandinavian Cruise with 2 days in each city?

Oct 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

My husband loves to cruise and I'm not as fond of it as he is, primarily because I hate the short amount of time in each port--usually 6 to 8 hours or so. I can see, however, how cruising would be a great way to see some of the major cities of Scandinavia and the Baltics and, of course, St. Petersburg. Does anyone know of cruise itineraries that provide 2 days, say in Stockholm, Copenhagen, Riga, etc. and 3 or 4 in St. Petersburg?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM

I do not know of any cruise that provides 2days in the places you mentioned ....other than 2 days in St.Petersburg.

However, you could go to Copenhagen 2-3 days before the cruise embarkment(as I did) and then you do have the 2 full days in St.Petersburg.

If you want to see more of Russia...then I would do the Russian River cruise which starts in St.Petersburg ( or Moscow) and goes down to Moscow ...you of course stop at places along the way.

There us lots to see at each stop,but one day is enough on this river cruise , except of course whenyou are in Moscow (or St.Petersburg)

This way you will have 4-5 days in St.Petersburg and the same amount of time 3-5 days in Moscow.

I usually get a private tour guide in places where one is needed...this way you do not waste your time getting from point A to point B.

Percy

Oct 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan and a good idea.
Oct 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Your best bet may be an Azamara cruise in July 2009 that is round trip from Copenhagen (you can stay pre or post cruise), 2 days in Stockholm and THREE days in St. Petersburg (you need that much time there).
Azamara is a very nice and affordable cruise line.
Oceania also has 3 days in St Petersburg but only 1 day in Copenhagen.
Good luck
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That sounds like it might be perfect. Then if we really like St. Petersburg (and if I don't go nuts on a cruise) we can look into following up in a year with a river cruise that starts in st. Petersburg and ends in Moscow. thanks. I think I now have quite a workable plan.
Oct 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I really think you would enjoy this itinerary. It is fairly port intensive and thus you woul not have too much time to "go nuts".
It's also a perfect time for the Midnight Sun in that region.
I believe Percy has an excellent review of this(similar) trip - very informative.
Oct 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Okay here is the link for my trip report to the Baltics last August.! that Paulchili mentioned.

I am happy that he found the trip report worthwhile enough to mention !

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35060844

I outlined what the major sites are to see in each port.

Percy
Oct 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Percy,
it is an outstanding trip report. For anyone doing that itinerary, all thay have to do is read your report and pack their bags - you've done all the work for them.
I enjoy reading it and re-living some of the same experiences.
Oct 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Thank You very much Paulchili.

I have had people tell me that they printed out my report , port by port and they told me they were going to do:

Percy's Copenhagen
Percy's Stockholm
Percy's Helsinki etc.

I guess I am glad I was able to help because we are all here to help each other.

Before my trip, I read helpful reports written by jacketwatch and a fellow called BillJ.....
and
I read bits and pieces from others.

So as others have helped me, I am pleased I am able to help others in return.

Thank you for your kind words and for remembering my report.

Percy

Oct 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Percy - you are welcome.
That is (or should be) the spirit and the purpose of this board - for travelers to help each other through their own expriences.
Happy trails to us all!