San Juan Hotel and Excursion

Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

San Juan Hotel and Excursion

Cruising out of San Juan in February on RCCL; planning to arrive the day before; need recommendation for nice hotel (but not too pricy) and must see/must do (anything but Old San Juan) in 2 half-day increments (our flight arrives around 1:15 on Friday and the ship leaves Saturday night so we have Friday afternoon and most of Saturday for excursions). Thanks!
Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Suerich68

You can go out to the rain forest, it's about 1 1/2 hours from San Juan. Maybe there's a tour you could take; or you can rent a car for a day. El Morro Castle is just a few minutes from Old San Juan.

Aug 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM

I would highly reccomend El Morro. You should be able to see it right on the coast from the plane windows as you are coming in to land. The ship will pass it as it leaves the harbor. El Moro is a fort built hundreds of years ago. You won't beleive how thick the walls are and the view from here. It is really something to see! There is another fort nearby also worth seeing. Can't rememeber its name but uit is not quite as old as El Moro.
We found the rain forest boring. You are driven past lots of trees and vegatation. We saw NO birds or animals. There is a light house, not that tall, that you can climb for a view of trees and vegatation.
Sorry, can't help you with a hotel.
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM

We really enjoyed El Convento which is in San Juan's old town and is an old convent. It was reasonable as I remember, under $200. It was walking distance from the castle.
Aug 31st, 2006, 05:47 AM

Another hotel to consider is the ESJ Towers next to the El San Juan Hotel. Its sort of condo style, reasonably priced, right on the beach and close to the airport and cruise terminal. El Morro is a good choice. I'll never forget the views of SJ harbor from atop this fort. There is another fort, San Cristobal that you could see as well. The rain forest is also a good choice though you will have to get an early start Sat. as your ship leaves in the evening. Have fun.
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - I'm having a tough time; the prices for one night's stay in February (peak week no less) are high. Lots of deals if you stay more than one night
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Thanks for asking this sleeepy - we might be needing this info too!
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Hubby and I stayed one night pre-cruise at the Old San Juan Sheraton and were not impressed. We stayed one night post-cruise at the Caribe Hilton and were blown away!!
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM

We are using points next July for our cruise out of San Juan and will be staying at the Sheraton. I've read mixed reviews. Overall, they we OK. I've stayed at the Caribe Hilton and it is OK as well. The pool area and workout facility is very nice. Our TA recommended the Sheraton.
Sep 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM

We are staying at the Marriott through Priceline @95.00. Give it a try. Specify RESORT! Good luck!