S.Caribbean Trip Report-Radiance of the Sea

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and myself just returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise on Radiance of the Sea. (RC) Islands were St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Anitgua, and Barbados. We also spent 2 nights in PR post cruise. I am happy to report no one I know of were ill on the trip. We had great weather. My thanks to someone who had suggested a private tour in St. Lucia with st.luciajungletours.com They were fabulous and it was a great way to tour the island. We went in a open jeep. Great views, and a fun day. The food on Radiance was good. We ate in the specialty restaurant called "Chops." The dessert and main entree was of a higher quality than main dining room. We both had fillet Mignon. It was excellent. Any questions please ask.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hi diann,Thanks for the trip report.I'm<BR>considering a cruise to Alaska on the Randiance and wanted to find out how you liked the ship? Your room? Lot's of viewing areas? I want to get a Balcony cabin.<BR>Many people on this board say it's the way to go if your cruising Alaska.<BR>Any thing else you can think of to share would be great! Thanks,Debbie
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Debden, I would agree with the balcony idea for an Alaskan cruise. I have often heard that is the way to go. We did not have a balcony we had a window. This was fine for us, we were rarely in our room. I have no complaints about the ship. It has many viewing areas, the rooms are adequate size. Bathrooms are small. Perhas a room with a balcony are larger I don't know. I thought the service was friendly. I heard some folks say they didn't find the staff to be as friendly as other lines. I am not sure what they were looking for. I thought it was fine. If I had any complaint at all it would be that the ship was to cold with the air conditioning. But that is just me. We had a thermostat in our room so I adjusted the temperature. It is not a brand new ship, some areas are somewhat contemporary in style. I thought the pool was somewhat small for the size of the ship. I believe it holds 2100 passengers. It truly never felt crowded to me. There is a place called Seaview cafe. It is a great place for sitting outside. The food is fast foods, but it was very good and a wonderful view. There is also a specialty coffee shop which had some great coffee. I would not be hesitant in recommending this ship to you for an Alaskan cruise. Have fun if you go.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:41 PM

We will be going on a S. Caribbean cruise to St. Martin, Martinique and Barbados..I noticed you went to two of those places. Can you recommend tours or things to do?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Cathie, let me first say that my husband and I are total beach people. We love the beach. Barbados has the most beautiful beaches. We went to Cranes Beach. It is about 25 minutes from the port where ships are docked. The water is so clear. It was a great place for snorkelling. There are cabs and tours you can take or decide upon after you get off the ship in the terminal. If you want a tour of the Island you can arrange it at that time. Also Bridgetown is only a few minutes away. That is the place to go shopping if that is what you would like to do also. St. Martin--the ships dock on the Dutch side. Many people are interested in the French side. (On our ship I might add they did a vote and this was everyones favorite Island.) I did half day beach, and half day shopping in St. Martin. This is the place to purchase jewelry. One store after another, and it is amazing they are all crowded. This is right at the port. There is also a beach right at the port. I regret I did not tour the Island more in St. Martin. Many people went to Orient Beach on the French side. It seems to be the popular place to go. I would try and tour that Island if I were you. Perhaps a tour by the ship maybe the way to go.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Thank you so much for all your information. It is our first cruise and I am really excited about going.<BR>Thanks again.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Hi...Radiance was new in March 2001 so she isnt very old. We are going on her in May
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:48 PM

Thanks for posting and answering questions.<BR><BR>I wish more people would do this.<BR><BR>I will after our next cruise.<BR><BR>Sounds like a ship I will take a second loot at.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 02:05 PM

HI:<BR>I'm scheduled to go on Radiane of the Seas March 1st. and I'm insterested in the St. Lucia jungle tours. &quot;DOUBLE FUN FALLS&quot;<BR>Special Jeep-Tour to Soufriere <BR><BR>Is that the one you took. Please send me an email at [email protected] with your comments. thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Cathy, You didn't say what you are interested in. All three have great beaches. Many in Martinique are topless so you may want to read some travel books and plan accordingly. Martinique is the most expensive of the three. In Barbados we took the glass bottom boat tour on our own, not through the cruise line. There is a mall at the dock with a tourist information booth. My daughter and I wanted to go to a beach without my husband so we had the man at the booth set us up with a taxi driver that he knew so we felt a little safer. Darlene
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:09 PM

Orient Beach in St. Martin is CLOTHING OPTIONAL-- please be aware of this if you are taking kids there...<BR><BR>There is a section where you can WEAR a bathing suit...but it is on most of the men's itinerary to see the Nude Beach section...
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 07:47 PM

dmb123 - I love the beach, but with a bathing suit is my preference. Not really much into snorkeling or scuba diving ... some in our group are going to do that.<BR>I like historical places, scenery..<BR>Won't have a lot of money to do shopping but would like some little gifts to take back to the family.<BR>Maybe winery tours, gardens etc...<BR>Drinks in a nice rest. on the beach.