Roatan shore excursions

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roatan shore excursions

Any suggestions?
Our ship offers an excursion to Tabyana Beach. It's supposed to be a lovely spot. Has anyone done this on their own via taxi?
Our ship sails by 3 p.m.(ship time) which makes me a bit nervous about getting back in time especially as we tender. Do you think this might be a problem?
We're on Carnival's Legend and hear they've a new docking site. Does anyone know if the new site is nearer to Tabyana Beach or other destinations?
Thanks for any and all feedback.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM

We've been to Roatan three times. The first time our ship was the 1st ship to stop there- this was many, many years ago. We went to Tabyanna with ship's tour. We are snorkelers and it was like swimming in an aquarium - mobs hadn't been there yet.
The next two times it was closed to the public because the ship's tour was there. We had stopped taking ship's tours so our cabbie took us to the hotel right next to Tabyanna. We just walked over from the hotel's beach and sat on the beach there & snorkeled. When we go there we tell the cabbie we want to go along the water not along the roads with high priced houses.
The water route passes native houses and we love seeing them and taking pictures. Some houses are on skinny pilings. They may have a 2' dock going out to an outhouse. Saw a wonam cleaning fish IN the water with her two young sons, kids doing homework on the steps to the house, native lives.
May go back to Roatan on our next cruise but don't know if we'll go there or somewhere new.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Bonniejns-
You've always got the best feedback!
Did you ask the cabbie to pick you up for the return trip or were there plenty of cabbies by the beach. There'll be 14 of us so we'll probably need 3 cabs.(or 4?)
How was the snorkling for kids? (wade-in from the beach tho they can all swim)
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Ngail, The cabbie waited for us and we didn't pay him until we got back to the ship. Whenever a cabbie's waiting or coming back for you NEVER pay until you're back at the ship then you know you'll get back! And agree on the cost before you get into any cab. Maybe you can get a van.
At Tabyanna you walk right into the water. Take some rolls from the ship to feed the fish. I wear a fanny pack for the rolls and there will be so many fish you can't count them.
Are you sure everyone will want to do this? We have a steadfast rule when we cruise with others. We all do our own thing. If it happens to be the same thing that's great otherwise we talk about what we did at dinner. (Had a neighbor who said her cruse was awful because her group got mad at her when she didn't go with the 'group'.)
Let me know if you want info on any other port. You can email me directly at [email protected], subject: cruising.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

This was one of the stops we all agreed on - the beach. The only question was whether to do the ship's excursion (@$37 pp) or go on our own by taxi (lots less!). The early ship's departure time made me nervous, but your advice to keep the drivers on hand really helped.
And thanks also for the advice about feeding the fish. The grandkids will love that!
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM

We just got back from our trip to Roatan. We used Snorkel Roatan Tours. They were really good a really on top of your time. They were more concerned with our time limits then we were, which was comforting, considering how many ships were in port that day. I think there were 4? That's a lot of people. Anyway, our day was private, transportation was private. We really had a great time. I would highly recommend them. I think they are a sister to Roatan Sun Splash Tours, because they carried a dual sign.
Check them out if you're heading to Roatan. We are a well traveled family, and these guys were tops.