River cruise for boomers

Oct 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

River cruise for boomers

Is it my imagination that you need to be 80 to go on a river cruise in Europe? Are there lines that cater to people in their 50s and 60s? Thanks. - Steve in MA
Oct 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Yes, you need to be 80, either dead or alive. Proof of age or death certificate is required. Happy Halloween!
Oct 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Hello,

No, actually, the average demographic is getting younger on river cruises as boomers and Gen-X'ers are getting tired of the large ocean cruises and looking to something on a smaller scale. I have clients with teenagers traveling on river cruises, as well as young professionals. They want to see Europe on a smaller scale, more intimate, more up-close experiences. The cuisine is outstanding, local and fresh, and regional wines, the tours are included the cost of the cruise with knowledgeable, trained local guides, and the ships are quite small. There are some retired people on the ships, but they are generally well-traveled and not boring.

Best Regards,
Julia
Oct 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM

WOW! If you have this attitude now, what will you turn into at 80? Just wondering
Oct 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM

We're not 80, but we're not 21 either! We did a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg and our fellow passengers were from all age groups, even some teen-agers. It was our first and we had a terrific time.

That said, I must agree with Dayenu, is it really all that important how YOUNG your fellow travelers are?
Oct 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Obviously I was being facetious about 80 [I'm 63], but it's good to know that the river cruises are getting younger passengers.

Jelzie2 - Are any lines that are more boomer friendly than others?
Oct 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM

As jelzie2 said nowadays river cruising is atracting a younger crowd. However, I reckon that the majority of river cruise passengers will be between 50 to 75 years old. I think 63 is a fine age to go on a river cruise.
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM

At 63, you are no spring chicken. I think you need to realize you in "that group" I have taken 2 riverboat cruises and found the ages to vary. I have also found the old farts to be extremely well traveled, intelligent, and certainly interesting conversationist at dinner. Many could out walk, run and jump me. Be carefull, they may find you boring.
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I find people of all ages on smaller river boats. Let's face it, older people may travel more than younger people. They are free of children, often retired and simply have the time and money. I for one enjoy people of all ages. When I was in my 40's, I was on a small ship with people of all ages, most were older than me. I had a geat time with them all! Most were very active and fun. There is always a stick in the mud though! Just adds to the experience.
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM

My husband and I are in our mid 60's and have been on two river cruises in Europe--all ages were represented--one family
with teenagers and some quite elderly. It was great and we're going again this year. Be prepared to meet lots of different personalities and have fun!!!
Nov 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I have also found the old farts to be extremely well traveled, intelligent, and certainly interesting conversationist at dinner. Many could out walk, run and jump me. Be carefull, they may find you boring.

Thank you for this, Southeastern...damn right, kid!
I'm in the 80+ category...and still traveling mostly independently...anyone sitting next to me and my young (72) wife, for dinner, will be nothing less than astoundingly appreciative... also "right on" comments from Giovanna and Dayenu!! Thanks.

Last fall we went Viking on the Moscow to St. P Volga cruise..all ages, indeed.

Come off it, STEVE...I'm also a Mass. native (Quincy)..but live in L.A. for 52 years now.

For shame in your unworldly, immature thinking.

Stu Tower (check out my profile, and hope you reach old age someday!)
Nov 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Why all the questions about age on cruises. Do old folks contaminate the youth? Personally, I loke to avoid cruises with arrogant, macho heavy drinking kids - the under 35 group. Unfortunately, in todays world they're the only ones with money, so they control.
Nov 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I am just curious as to how river cruising compares to other types of tours. Do those who are experienced feel that it is more or less preferable to traveling in other ways? How does it compare in terms of cost, sightseeing, foreign language issues, safety etc.
Nov 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Lotus:

We have been fiercely indepdent travelers for many decades..usually driving, some train travel..as I mentiond in above post. Cutting down the driving time as I get older...more trains...but we relented in 2006 to take a barge trip in the Alsace wine country...loved it...19 passengers, broad age range...wonderful group of fellow travelers.

Then last fall, we decided to try out river cruising (after being on board a cruse ship as a paid guest lecturer several years ago, my idea of sheer hell is imprisonment with 3,000 passengers and elbow- jostling for food and drink, with constant cornball "entertainment"...just my opinion, shared by my lovely wife...just ain't our thing) so we did a Viking trip (140 passengers that late in the season), as described in post above. Great time!! Would do it again. Post cruise, we went off on our own to an exciting, adventurous, fascinating journey into Belarus and the Ukraine.

Try the river, dear, you'll love it too.

Stu Tower

Lotus: Here are my decidedly amateur pix of the river trip...click on "slide show"[email protected]

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Russia2008#