Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Regent Seven Seas Navigator, or where, if you are on crutches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring Break is coming up and I'm wondering if there is a trip I can plan that would work for our family of four, DH, DS1 age 18, and DS2 age 15. DS1 had arthroscopic hip surgery Feb. 10 and may still be on crutches at trip time, although with permission to bear some weight on affected side. He is comfortable sitting if in slightly reclining position or not for too long. He's comfortable lying down. As anyone who has been on crutches for an extended time knows, it's a pain to move from place to place what with the sore shoulders. At that point, he will be more than a month stuck at home and on crutches, so I thought it might be nice for him to get out in the sun, even if he can't do much. Regent SS Navigator has an available sailing, and I thought a smaller ship with good service and 24 hour room service could be good. DS 2 does not require a kids program and would probably be happier on a ship without a bunch of little kids anyway. I've also thought of a resort in Florida or thereabouts, preferable where we could fly direct and not worry about long customs lines. I realize that it would be better to wait until after crutches, but spring break is at one given time. Can anyone think of anywhere tropical that would be worth it to go to if you were on crutches, i.e. better than sitting at home. Within reason, we are not budget constrained.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM

I would rent a wheelchair if he is comfortable with using it - maybe a motorized one that he can "park" anywhere. The distances on the ship are large, even to go to dinner may be difficult.

The problem may be getting on and off the ship, whether docked (long, steep way up/down) or tendered.

Maybe just some time in sunny Florida, a place like South Beach, Miami?
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM

Go to a resort in say, Florida or Barbados etc. The crutches are temporary and nothing is to be gained by toughing it out on a ship. And ships are not always a stable platform so an unexpected fall is possible, but not desireable.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:01 AM

We're big fans of Club Med. We've been to their Ixtapa resort on several occassions and loved it.

They just completed a refurbishment of their Sandpiper resort in Florida. Might work as an option, especially if your younger son is looking to play some sports.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM

Frankly, I don't think Regent Seven Seas is suitable for your kids. The ship will probably have very few teens on it, if any. It's just not a family-oriented line, though you will see some kids on cruises that coincide with vacation periods.

And if your husband is fairly immobile, I think he might not appreciate a cruise as much either. I agree it's easier on a smaller ship, but for access and amenities, I'd actually recommend a larger ship, which will appeal to your teens more as well.

I'd give serious consideration to a ship like Norwegian Epic. You could afford accommodations in one of the suites that gives access to the less crowded private pool and lounge area. It's a huge ship, but it has fairly good elevator access, and your husband could use a wheelchair to get to meals and shows. It's not as upscale as Regent, but the amenities devoted to the more expensive suites makes it a more worthwhile experience. The other reason I like Epic is that bathrooms are open (individual shower, individual toilet, separate sink). I'm not wild about the layout normally, but this would give much easier access to your husband, and if you got a family suite, with a separate room (with bunk beds and a 2nd bath for your kids), you could avoid many of the off-putting crowds. (Epic also has an amazing water slide.)

Alternatively, look at suites on either Oasis or Allure of the Seas. The variety of amenities and cabins would be attractive, and there's enough good stuff on the ship that you don't really have to get off, making it all the easier on your husband.

Most of the cruise lines have 24-hour room service, though with limited menus. So you don't necessarily have to go on a luxury cruise to get that.

But I'd also look at a resort. You might consider the family-oriented Club Med in Florida (you fly into West Palm and then drive from there). It's all-inclusive and will have a lot to offer your teens. Plus, it has had an upscale makeover that might appeal to you and your husband.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Sorry ... I misread your initial (I'm still not good with all the abbreviations). I see it's your son that had surgery, not your husband. I think my advice still holds, and I see now that someone else has recommended Club Med Sandpiper.