REGENT/ MARINER TO ALASKA?

Jan 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

REGENT/ MARINER TO ALASKA?

Has anyone done the Regent/Mariner to Alaska and if so, should one do the Anchorage/Seward down south or fly into Vancouver and go up? Differences?
Also, how was the ship and the service and the food? Which cruise line does the best for Alaska - really did not want to do mass market ship.....suggestions?

Many thanks.
Jennifer
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Jennifer, Regent is a great choice anywhere and perfect for Alaska. The ships are smaller so you can up close and personal with the glaciers, you dine when you wish so no schedules to keep (and the excursions they offer are reasonable and high quality), food and service is excellent, all inclusive as well so no nickel and diming and superb accomodations.

If you do not want mass market, Regent is your only option.

I have done both routes and prefer ending up in Vacouver and spending a few days in this beautiful city after the cruise.

The next closest thing would be the small ships of HAL.
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
sallylouise

What about Cruise West for small ships? HAve a friend that raved about it.

Jan 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Am going on the Mariner northbound in May and can't wait. I've heard such wonderful things about it from this and other boards. Sounds like I'll be spoiled for any other cruise line in the future. Guess that's not all bad!!
Jan 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
newmanparker

Northbound is the way to go... Enjoy Vancouver for a couple of days... and wind up in Anchorage or further!

You will love it either way... just remember that on this cruise, it is IMPORTANT to make sure your cabin is on the side of the ship facing land. It is awesome with a balcony!

Jan 25th, 2007, 04:11 AM

The Mariner is all balconies and we booked starboard, so that should be the ticket! We're going one day ahead to Vancouver and staying two days in Anchorage. Unfortunately can't extend any longer than that, but will undoubtedly want to return at a later date!!
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM

We did the Mariner in 2004. We did it going South from Seward to Vancouver. I really don't think it makes a difference which we you do it. We spent a few days in the Denali area before the cruise and a few days in Vancouver at the end of the cruise. If you'd like details of our intinerary, I'd be glad to send them to you: I'm at [email protected]. It was great.
Jan 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM

We did the Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Mariner five years ago, and have recommended it to several friends who went. We did the northbound one, and spent two wonderful days in Vancouver first. The Mariner is a fabulous ship, with great food, great service, and wonderful excursions. We're planning another cruise now, and haven't even looked at another ship.
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM

My wife & I are on the Regent Mariner northbound (Vancouver to Seward) in May, '07. We'd like to take the train from Seward to Anchorage for plane departure rather than the bus.

Is this a possible option with Regent or is it up to Regent?

Thanks
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I'm on the May 23 Regent Cruise to Alaska. My travel agent checked on this and tells me that the train is not available this year. She has no idea why this is, but apparently the bus is the only option.
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks, Holldoll, for the info. The train trip sounded good, but I guess we'll take the bus.