Alaska Cruise from Whittier to Vancouver

Feb 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Alaska Cruise from Whittier to Vancouver

We are flying into Anchorage for a cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. But what do we do once we get to Anchorage? Should we stay in Anchorage? or stay in Whittier? We're not sure how to get from Anchorage to Whittier either. We are only able to take the cruise and not the land tour to Fairbanks. Maybe next trip we'll have more time.
Feb 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM

We loved the train from Anchorage to Whittier. It is a transfer option to your cruise. Don't take the bus - the train is much more pleasant. I don't know of any great places to stay in Whittier - not to say there aren't any but someone posted that there was some good shopping and I am personally itching to spend some time in the town. Good Luck - Eileen
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM

There are independent transfers available, listing www.anchorage.net IF you want to consider a glacier boat tour out of Whittier, the train works out well, leaving at 10am. BUT I would not be in a rush to get on your ship if the boat tour is not of interest. Consider sightseeing Anchorage- how often are you going to get there???

There is NO difference in the scenery by road or rail, Anchorage/Whittier- exact same.
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

If I understand it right, I should call the cruise line (Princess) and arrange a transfer from our hotel in Anchorage to Whittier. Is that correct Eileyann??
Feb 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Bugsbonnie,
My travel agent took care of it for me so I am not an expert but I do believe that is right. If you don't have a TA then I do believe you should call Princess.
The train is lovely. It gently sways through the rolling terrain, the conductor or whomever talks about the history and you are surrounded by beauty. I realize the scenery is about the same as the highway, but on the train you are not caught up in looking at the traffic or roads - you peacefully look out on the valleys and hills - and often the roads in the distance. Some of my best pictures were taken on the train. You will see dozens of eagles in the trees if you look and beautiful waterfalls as well. Not everyone is as sensitive to the beauty, not everyone despises being crowded on the bus nor is as distracted as I am by driving. That's fine. It's great to have the choice.
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM

If you want to take the train- book it yourself and have some significant savings, with Alaska RR.

Then with about a noon arrival, also consider a PWS glacier boat tour, that leaves at 1pm and offers you way superior glacier viewing compared to your cruise ship. The Alaska RR transfers your bags directly to the ship- have them properly tagged.
Feb 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you eileyann. Your information was very useful. I did schedule the transfer to Whittier through the TA. Cost was $55 from Anchorage Airport to Whittier. I'm just sorry to say, the train was full! Thank you again.
Feb 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Budget Queen. Like I told eileyann, we couldn't get the train to Whittier. But I'm definately going to check into the PWS glacier cruise you mentioned. Thanks for advice.
Feb 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM

The train is full, already??? Did you look to book online yourself??? http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

This site also has the combo train and glacier cruises, that I am certain will still have space at this time.