Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Real Comfort Difference 180sq.ft. compared to 230sq.ft?.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on what is billed as a luxury expedition ship called the Clipper Oddessy with Zegrahm. Expeditions. On the cruise/expedition we will be in our cabins for maybe 2-3 hours between 8AM-6PM and then sleeping in a queen arrangement for 8-9 hours. A couple might join us in another cabin an the fellow is 6'2" and we want to know is there a real observable difference with the extra 50sq.ft. I realize the manner in which the cabin is designed would influence your answers, but I do not have that answer. The cost difference for the 13 nights/14days on-board $2000/couple.
What is your opinion. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM

We had a mini suite on our last trip (on a Princess ship) but it was a free upgrade so we did not pay for it.

However, we loved the extra space in the bathroom. We can actually move around plus there is a tub instead of just a shower stall.

The other extra space works out to a nice coffee table, 2 chairs and a couch. Space that definietly comes in handly when we had visitors for a drink etc. My sister aand her DH was on the same cruise.

If you think it's worth the extra $70 per day, go for it. If you think you have better way to spend the $2000, then you know what the answer is.

For us, we love the extra space but we get limited use out of it except for the larger bathroom. If one of you snore real loud, maybe the couch is an alternative resting place for the other partner.

Will we book a mini suite again? Probably not.

With that said, we pay extra to be on a balcony cabin or an outside cabin as we have never travelled on an inside cabin. For our next trip, we are booked on a balcony cabin. We could have saved $2000 if we take an inside cabin but we didn't. I could have spend the $2000 on shore excursions and a few other things but we didn't.

People value things differently, so ultimately, you will have to decide.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Hello - I have been on the Odyssey 7 times now and am perfectly happy in the smaller cabin. From what you said, I think you realize you will rarely be in your room other than sleeping. The smallest cabins have besides the large bed, a desk, sofa, chair and coffee table and of course storage. Enjoy your trip - you will have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Louise; Hello again. Have you seen the category 5 cabins? We are in category 4 (180sq.ft.) but I hate to recommend it to our friends if based upon your knowledge they would really find a $2000 "value added" by the 50sq.ft. difference.The bathroom size for example might that be significantly larger? In the end will they or will we for that matter have a tab of $1000+/- assuming we purchased 6-7 bottles of wine over the cruise at dinner, corking it since we anyway do not drink that much, and other incidentals? Knowing that may also influence them? I am surprised Zegegrahm is not doing Indonesia in 2011 even though with 6 weeks prior to departure they are full less 3 cabins with no discounts or air supplements similar to most other cruise lines.It's amazing at $1000+/person per day!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Hi, again - as to the cabins, we went and looked at a 5 category that friends' were occupying. I did not want to be too nosy so did not look in the bathroom but that must be the difference because the room looked the same to me.

I think I paid $25 a bottle for just an ordinary wine and maybe bought 3 bottles the whole trip and a drink every day. So, that was my only extra expense on the whole trip at less than $200.

I don't know if you are aware but Zegrahm was sold a while ago to I think an English company. They have said there will be no changes in operation accept obviously they have changed where they will be cruising in 2011. The ship will head towards the Suez Canal and into the Mediterranean and Black Sea and then up the west coast of Europe. The cruise I was on in November there were only 35 passengers and I believe the one after was about 65. The ship has a pretty loyal following so it could be that most people have already done most all the cruises which are offered and they want to place it someplace different. Too bad as I had not finished with the South Pacific.

Yes, it always surprises me that there are so few discounts available and the one you will be on must be really popular. Hope I helped with your questions.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Louise; I think our friends will join us but save the $2k since they have 2 cabins left in Category 4. we are going to Central Java for 6 days following the cruise ending in Bali. Having visited Bali 3 times before and hearing that Joyjakarta and north and east from there are even more beautiful and far less traveled it should be quite an added bonus. Hopefully our guide service will be as good as their references were. The big difference is a day in Central Jave for hotel (Hyatt-Club Floor-, Guide plus driver and 2008 Toyota and meals) will $300+/-/day for my wife and I vs. $2000/day on the Clipper.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Hi There - I came across this post and saw a lot of good answers that I certainly agree with regarding the cabins on the Clipper Odyssey. First of all I think it is only fair to mention that I am a Program Manager over at Zegrahm Expeditions. I have also been onboard and made inspections of the Odyssey a few times. With that said I would like to add some more answers to this post regarding its cabins which I think you will find to be of additional help:

Yes, the category 1-4 cabins are around 180 sq ft, whereas the category 5-6 cabins are around 230 sq ft. Even though the category 5 and 6 cabins are about the same size, the differences between these cabins are the following areas that are included in their sizes. The category 5 cabins have a larger bathroom (full tub and shower) but no balconies and the category 6 cabins have a balcony but a smaller bathroom (half tub and shower). So part of making a cabin decision is if you are view-type passengers or soak-in-the-tub-type passengers.

I would also like to add that Zegrahm decided to take the Odyssey west in 2011 exactly for the reasons mentioned, because the ship has been in the Pacific for so many years. As a result of a high majority of requests by loyal Odyssey passengers, we feel it’s time to offer some new and exciting itineraries to other remote areas of the world for this ship.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Things to consider for a tall person: bed and shower. Do you think the bed will be longer or the shower higher in a larger cabin? I think not