RCCL hits up $5/day extra

Nov 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

RCCL hits up $5/day extra

RCCL posted yesterday that they would add $5.00/day surcharge fee per full fare. RCCL states that if you paid the cruise in full prior to 11/15/07 no extra charge. I'm pissed that if we new about the increase we would have just paid for the cruise in full since we already have purchased the ridiculously expensive nonchangeable airline tickets for June 2008. I say this is bull. What do you say? Any Lawyers?

Nov 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM

No lawyer would help you. RCCL is actually one of the last cruise lines to do that and it was expected. Why did you already buy air tickets for July 2008, especially if they are expensive and nonchangeable? This is an unusual combination. I figured the best air price comes around 3 months in advance.
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

If RCCL had everyone on the ship pay the additional $60 per person that’s one thing. However, if you paid for your cruise in advance, you’re exempt. We were not afforded that opportunity when the "rules" changed Friday. If enough people complained with such bad press this crap may not happen, rather than "It is expected" and we will just bend over and accept it.

Nov 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM

"However, if you paid for your cruise in advance, you’re exempt."
This is true in regards to cruise rates. But airfare, government taxes, fuel surcharge can change. Cruise lines just like any other business will pass rising cost to customers. It's take or leave. I don't like paying extra $ either but I will not stop cruising because or $35 per person difference.
Nov 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM

What is the surcharge for?
Nov 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I heard this morning in the news, the cruise lines are adding $5 a day fuel charge.
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM

The amusing thing is that RCL just came out with a press release 10/22 boasting about how they've used pre-purchased fuel contracts to offset price increases. A quote from this release:

"Fuel prices remain volatile and have risen significantly in recent months. However, the company has taken a number of actions to reduce energy consumption and fuel expense. The resulting savings are nearly sufficient to offset this rise in fuel prices. As a result, even at today's fuel prices, the company's 2008 fuel costs per APCD would be roughly comparable with 2007. "

Nice, huh?
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:09 AM

This fuel surcharge is going into effect for all cruise lines. It shouldn't come as a big surprise as there's been a lot of press about it and we saw it coming. $5. per person per day sounds like one of the lower per diem surcharges...some are more like $10.p.p. per day.
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Since we're booked for a May 2008 cruise, I'm interested in how this plays out. As far as I know, Celebrity hasn't added the surcharge yet, but if (when) they do, I may have to lodge a protest. Here's some info that may be useful:

http://tinyurl.com/36pwdm

Nov 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Oops! Spoke too soon. Celebrity is part of RCCL. Have yet to be notified however.

Nov 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Info cited from the article in the Tiny URL posted above:

"The key to overturning a retroactive fuel surcharge is a careful reading of the cruise contract, the legal agreement between you and the cruise line."

"Future fuel surcharge(s) can be protested. It’s imperative to keep the pressure on airlines and cruise lines to do the right thing — if their costs go up, they need to raise prices, not add a “surcharge.” These fees may, in fact, be illegal. A letter sent to the Department of Transportation or the Maritime Commission, questioning the legitimacy of the fees, could pressure these travel companies to drop these silly extras."

"...the Federal Maritime Commission, ... can sometimes mediate disputes on your behalf."

The Federal Maritime Commission
800 North Capitol St. NW
Washington, DC 20573
[email protected]

Here's Celebrity's Price Terms: "Unless otherwise expressly noted, all prices are per person, based on double occupancy of the stateroom and are quoted in U.S. dollars. Celebrity Cruises Inc. reserves the right to increase its prices (my italics) without prior notice; however, if you have confirmed your booking with a deposit, or if you have already made your final payment, your price will be protected. Celebrity Cruises separately assesses airport facility charges and certain departure taxes and other taxes/fees that are implemented by various governments or quasi-governmental bodies."

There's nothing here about a fuel surcharge. They haven't increased their prices nor has a tax been imposed, they've added a fuel surcharge which doesn't seem to be covered under their price terms.
Nov 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM

triathlete, can you provide a link to the release you mentioned? I couldn't find it by googling around.
Nov 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM

I got an e-mail from Princess cruises notifying me there will be a surcharge of $5 per day per person added, which is for 2 of us for 10 days is $100.

Princess Cruises is a brand of Carnival Corporation.

They will not impose cancellation fees if we cancel before the final payment date (March 2008).
Nov 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM

I have nto received an email from princess yet or the agent that we used. Our cruise is for March 2008. Not paid in full yet. May be I should go ahead and do it right away. It's 4 of us on a 7 day cruise. So, that's $140.
Nov 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM

My e-mail says: for all cruises on or after February 1, 2008.

Maybe they sent an e-mail to your agent who is out of the office as tomorrow is a holiday?

I don't think if you pay now it would help to avoid the charge.
Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM

Looks like all the cruise llines have fuel surcharge now. There maybe a couple not charging yet in Europe where fuel prices has always been high. Since last year, pump pricve has been up 20% all over the world except in the US where it is up by 40%, mostly becasue of the strength (or lack of) of the US$.

Let's hope that when the fuel price drops, they will take off the surcharge. In the past, some airlines has kept the surcharge even after the fuel price has dropped. Maybe it is about time that the Cruise ships should look at alternative fuel sources?

I am at a point that it is not worth fighting anyone over the fuel surcharge as long as it is reasonable. To me, taking a cruise trip is not about bargain hunting anway. Does anyone price compare different cruise line and decide on one over the other based on price?
Dec 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Thanks, Tri!
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM

You people crack me up! You realize that RCCL and all other cruise lines are in the business to make money?? They are faced, as we all are, with skyrocketing fuel costs and sure they are going to pass this on to the customer, it is their OBLIGATION to do so. They are a publicly traded company and thier number 1 goal is to make money for the investors. Plus we are talking at most $200. You just spent thousands to go on vacation and you are going to let this ruin it for you? Wow! Sorry for this post but I am in the business where people bitch all the time at me (Real Estate Developer) and this is a forum I can actually respond (ahhh that feels better!)
Jan 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Donke71: My sentiments exactly ! How can people allow themselves to get so stressed about this? Surely it cannot be a surprise to them that fuel HAS gone up in price. Do they not notice when they gas up the car? I expect that $5 a day is a lot less than what most people spend in the bar on a cruise ship. It is such a drop in the bucket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO