Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Princess Diamond --Alaska--Dining options??

Feb 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

What are the pros and cons of traditional seating on Princess Diamond to Alaska for meals versus AnyTime dining???? Not sure which is best for us...am dreading Formal nights as I am a jeans and T shirt kind of gal!!
Feb 25th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Personal Choice is a winner in Alaska, since it allows you plenty of flexability. Touring can be extensive in Alaska and nothing is worse than having to be back on the ship for dinner at a fixed time.

I sail NCL a lot for the same reason.

But in Alaska meals are unimportant. I missed 4 dinners in the dining room on RCI on a 2005 trip.
Feb 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM

No worries. We cruised Alaska on the Sapphire, the Diamond's sister ship. If you miss your fixed seating time there are several restaurants open for anytime dining which serve the same choices as you would get for traditional dining. In fact we arrived late one night for our fixed dining after the excursion in Victoria and jumped right into one of these restaurants. As for Formal night jeans probably won't do but if you wish to skip it entirely you do anytime dining or make reservations in the specialty restaurants, either Sabatinins (a must do IMHO) of the Sterling steak house. The surcharge is around $15.00-20.00 pp.
My other bit of advice is to bring binoculars, dress in layers and avoid the reindeer sausage. Cheers, Larry. BTW the brew Alaskan amber is very good. A jean/t-shirt gal just may like it.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I would do Anytime dining in Alaska. Anytime dining is perfect for port intensive itineraries.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advice-- are the menus the same in the anytime versus the traditional dining rooms???
Feb 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Yes they are.

On the Diamond and Sapphire, each dining room has one speciality menu - for example, Savoy always has pork chops each night and the Italian named dining room has Occo Bucco. Otherwise, the menus are identical.