Reload this Page >

PRINCESS BAIT AND SWITCH

Search

PRINCESS BAIT AND SWITCH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 02:44 PM
markg

PRINCESS BAIT AND SWITCH

Well fellow travelers let me share my recent experience in booking a cruise. After going through the process of selecting a cruise, my wife and I finally decided on the Sea Princess in the western carribean. Working with our travel agent we received a quoted price and cabin choice from Princess and our agent put a hold on our cabin choice for us while we confirm our air reservations using our frequent flyer Mileage. Once those arraingements were confirmed I phoned our agent to make payment on the cruise and we received a confirmation number. I was then informed from our agent that Princess would not honor the original quote price and that the new price has INCREASED $177.00 per person!! SOUNDS LIKE A BAIT AND SWITCH ROUTINE DOES'NT IT!. IS THIS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THIS INDUSTRY. I felt bad for our travel agent since she worked hard with us in this selection and now Princess leaves me with such a negetive perception of them. We travel often but usually at resort locations but decided we would try a cruise. If this is how the cruise lines operate I think i'll stay on shore!! <BR>WE ARE VERY,VERY DISSAPOINTED!!! <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 04:39 PM
Scott

Thats not cool. I was considering using them to go to Tahiti. I will think twice now.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 01:26 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>I believe your travel agent made a mistake, which all human beings do at times. <BR> <BR>Or, the time limit for the "hold" had run out. The "hold" is only for a few days. <BR> <BR>Cruise lines do not increase prices after you book or "hold" except for air and port taxes (no where near $177). I do have to admit the cruise prices are increasing this week due to the airline fuel surcharges 10 - 20 dollars. <BR> <BR>I imagine your travel agent is not making that much money on your cruise (maybe $180 - $200) and cannot absorb the $177. <BR> <BR>Sorry to hear of your delemma. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Harriet

I had to respond because I have had only good experiences with Princess. In fact, I had booked a cruise for the end of April and three months later received a flyer announcing a lower price---my travel agent called and I received the lower price (Almost $800 less) The also upgraded my cabin to one with a balcony without me even asking!

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 07:31 AM
Frank

The price increase may have had something to do with travel insurance or it may have been because, as Paul mentioned, the time for the 'hold' on the price quote had expired. Having been a travel agent and been on many cruises, I would hope you continue with your cruise plans. The W. Caribbean is just beautiful and the Sea Princess is a beautiful ship, and I'm sure you will have a great cruise. 'Bait and switch' is not something that cruise lines need to do, they usually do just the opposite. Often times up-grading passengers to a better stateroom with no extra charge.